i want kids

Ellen and patrick broke up 2 weeks ago. They were dating 3 years beforehand. They haven't spoken about their feelings yet but are being really mature at work. They're both heartbroken but are too scared to talk to eachother about it.

"Hey" I smile, walking into the table read room. "Hey" everyone says. "Hey" Patrick says as I sit next to him. I smile.

"You okay? Your voice is raspy" he says. I was up all night crying on the phone to kate. "Just a cold" I say. "You have a cough? You left one of your inhalers in my car.. I can bring it if you want" he says. "That's okay.. I have spares" I say.

"I um.. I have a box of your stuff, actually.. i took It by mistake.. I can bring it to you tomorrow?" He says. My eyes trail to kate, across the table. "Don't cry" she mouths. I take a small breath. "Yeah, okay.. thankyou" I say. My phone buzzes. I look at it.

Kate: you can not cry, ellen

Me: he wants to give me my stuff back..

Kate: I know, hon

Me: he's moving on already..

Kate: that's not true..

Me: it is

I put my phone down as shonda walks in. We start the table read.

"So this is it?" Patrick reads his line. "..yeah" I say. "We're breaking up" he says. "We're breaking up" I try to hide the break in my voice with a small cough.

"We're broken up" he says. A tear runs down my cheek. Everyone else notices but I wipe it before he sees. "Its done" I say. "They kiss" shonda says, reading the stage directions. I feel myself getting choked up. "I um-" I stand up.

Everyone looks at me. "I- I'm on my period and I feel like I'm about to sneeze so if you'll excuse me a second" I make something up before leaving the room quickly. "Smooth" kate chuckles, catching up to me.

"Come here" she wraps her arms around me. I wrap my arms around her, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"He wants to get rid of my stuff.. probably so he can use the space for his new girlfriends stuff" I say. "He doesn't have a girlfriend" she says. "Yet" I say. "He loves you" she says.

"I broke up with him.. why did I do that?" My eyes fill to the brim with tears. "He doesn't want kids.." she says. "I can deal without them.. I just need him" my lip quivers.

"You've wanted kids forever" she says. "I've wanted him forever" I say. "Ellen.." she says. "I miss him" I say. "I know you do" she says. "Do you think he misses me?" I ask. I look at her. "Of course he does" she says.

I take a deep breath, wiping my eyes before we walk back into the room. I sit back down. "Sneeze okay?" Patrick teases. I blush hard. I giggle, nodding.

The table read finally ends. I stay sat down, talking to kate as everyone else stands up. Mid sentence kate gasps. "What?" I ask.

"Nothing.. nothing" she holds my shoulders to keep me from looking. I pull them away gently, turning around. My heart drops. One of the set workers and patrick are kissing in the corner of the room.

My eyes fill with tears. He puts his hands on her waist, pulling away. He looks around the room. Our eyes lock.

I look away quickly, getting up and running out of the room. I get in my car outside and speed to my house, sobbing uncontrollably all the way there.

I run up to my room and climb into bed, not even bothering to change out of my dress. I snuggle into my pillows, tears soaking the sheets. My phone buzzes. I look at it.