Gift

Aww, are you sure you are stopping there? You were almost reaching my favorite part

'Which part?'

The one where we met.

'Yeah, like Tanjiro would believe a nine-year-old child made friends with a god.'

Y/N shook her head when she noticed she was getting distracted, and then nervously said : “I think… that's all. I can't really tell why I ended up at that forest… and being honest, there are many things about me that I can't tell you.”

'Like that I also am from the future. And that you're only a fictional character.' She frowned.

“…” He kept staring blankly at her, which made Y/N even more nervous.

“Tanjiro?” She bit her lip. 'I knew it, it was too much. I shouldn't have told h-'

Tanjiro's blank expression was starting to make Y/N panic, she was already ready to play it off as a joke or say that it wasn't that serious, but any words she prepared stopped in her throat when a single tear fell down from one of his eyes.

“Huh?! Y-you're crying?!” She panicked even more.

“Oh…” He blankly looked down as the tears quickly coming out of his eyes started to drop on his hands. “I'm sorry, I didn't realize-”

“D-don't cry! You see, it happened long ago!” Y/N immediately tried to comfort him. “It doesn't hurt anymore or anything, so please don't be sad!”

The thing that made Tanjiro cry even more was the fact that there was almost no sad smell coming from her. I mean, he could sense a little bitterness, but it was drowned in the smell of her concern for him.

It's true that he also often blames himself for what happened to his family, but he couldn't imagine having someone saying that it was his fault to his face for years.

So, to him, the fact that Y/N accepted what they told her to the point she doesn't even feel sad about it anymore… it just makes him feel worse for her.

“Can you please stop doing that?” His stern tone made Y/N freeze. “You just told me about the terrible things that happened to you, why I am the one being comforted? Don't you think it's weird?”

“I think… I think…” She couldn't form a proper answer.

“You think?” Even so, he pushed her to keep talking.

Y/N gulped, and then mumbled with a frown : “What happened…. It sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it. Maybe my cousin wouldn't have died if I had asked for help sooner, but I didn't, and that's a matter of fact. I have to take responsibility for my mistakes.”

After she finished her words, her frown got worse as she nervously got up : “I- I don't think I'm feeling well, excuse me-”

She just wanted to escape this situation.