#40: He Forgets Something Important

Luke:

"Any answers?" The question seemed to be the one to drift you out of your stressing thoughts, eyes almost wide as you looked up from the bright screen that was half hidden below the table on top of your lap. "I don't-, I don't know." You managed to mumble, pacing your leg up and down while looking onto the empty plate in front of you. "But if he forgot, wouldn't he have noticed by now that you aren't home?" Looking up at your best friend with wide eyes you shook your head quickly in denial, of course he hadn't forgotten. "I don't want to believe the slightest that my boyfriend forgot my birthday, that is literally the worst case scenario to date especially because it's my 20th!" Your eyes adverted towards the empty chair next to you, feeling how the more time was ticking the more nervous you got. Of course hadn't forgotten about it, you had been talking about this night for weeks. You didn't want anything big, you didn't want a huge party, a visit to a fancy restaurant sounded enough and satisfying for you. It was literally the most exciting feeling, especially because you hadn't seen Luke all morning due to recording sessions which you respected. As long as you saw him throughout the day, you would be happy. But now, after waiting 15 minutes by the long tables decorated just for your birthday in the little corner of the French restaurant, you were starting to grow deeply nervous. A few of the family members had been giving you glances, Liz sometimes furrowing her eyebrows confused because she clearly couldn't understand either why her son hadn't arrived yet. "It must be traffic." You mentioned for the third time during the evening, and when your phone started to buzz you literally rushed up in your seat. "Luke what is going on I've been trying to reach you for two hours!" Loud music was appearing in the background but whether it was from the records studio or at some sort of club you couldn't tell. "Y/N? Hey! I'm sorry babe, things have been kind of taking longer than expected and after working since 6 A.M this morning so the boys and I thought about paying the hard work with some good old beer at the pub down by the beach promenade." It was so many emotions going through your body at once while hearing him explain himself, your eyes almost becoming wet but you still didn't say anything. You kept quiet. You were so confused about everything that you didn't hear half of the words he was saying, mainly because your thoughts were blocking out everything else and the music was still loud. "So you don't have to stay up for me. Maybe if you want, you could call over Y/BF/N and eat dinner with her, there're leftovers in the kitchen from yesterday." You barely heard him say the three words as he hung up on the phone, your eyes glancing towards the dinner table filled with family members. You still had the phone leaning on your ear after the call ended, your eyes searching for your best friend's whom were already looking over at you, the devastated expression telling enough. He had forgotten.

Calum:

"Morning sweety." He greeted when he saw you walk into the kitchen in your pajamas, your hair uneven and he reached his arm forward to embrace you in his chest. But instead of just doing the usual hug you stoop on your toes to wrap your arms around his neck and passionate started to kiss him. "Morning Calum." Your voice was low and seductive, and you nudged your nose against his doing small eskimo kisses making him lift an eyebrow at you but still smiling. "Are you still horny from last night?" He asked while moving his hands down to rest right above your panties, his cold hands connecting with the skin on your back. His question made you furrow your eyebrows confused and you glanced him up and down shortly, even more confused to why he was dressed up. "Are we going out?" You asked, with a bit excitement in your voice as to Calum hadn't mentioned anything, this could simply be some kind of surprise he had planned. "No I'm just heading out with the boys." He let go of your arms to open the fridge, clearly not catching up with the frown that formed on your face, and he took out a water bottle to take a sip. "Actually, I'm leaving within seconds. I was going to head up to the bedroom to say goodbye but now that you're here I'll save time." He walked forward to wrap his arms once more around you and placed a small peck to your forehead. "I'll see you somehow tonight maybe if we don't decide to go clubbing." It was like he didn't notice your rejection at all, even though you were crossing your arms and staring at him like he was dumb-folded. "Calum do you know what day it is today?" He looked confused by your question and squeezed one of his eyes to think it through, "May the 2nd, why?" He placed the now almost empty water bottle on top of the counter and grabbed his jacket hanging loosely on one of the chairs by the dinner table. "Nothing... The date doesn't bring up any thoughts?" You asked and crossed your arms, the frown still on your lips while you stared at him expecting for him to realize anything at any point now. "Not really it's just the start of May, Y/N. Am I missing something important?" It was like a lump was forming in your throat by Calum's words but instead of yelling at him, confronting him and starting up a fight you just shook a head in disappointment. "No, you're not..." Your voice got quieter for every word that came out of your lips and Calum nodded his head and winked over at you. "I'll see you later, princess." Were his last words before he hurried towards the door and walked out with a small wave. When silence hit you, you wanted to break something, anything that was near your position but your thoughts drifted away from it when your phone vibrated, a tweet which you were mentioned in showing on your screen. "@malikoa: Massive congratulations to my little brother @Calum5SOS & his girlfriend @Y/T/N on their first anniversary. Young love is ♥"