#72: I Wish - One Direction

A/N:

Eeey so it's actually been a really fucking long time since I last wrote a song preference (It's been over a year but honestly who is counting haha) and because I recently had one of those old "Let's listen to Up All Night and feel like a 14 year old again", I stumbled across this old song and couldn't resist the urge to write about it... Enjoy :-)

Luke:

But I see you with him
Slow dancing
Tearing me apart
'Cause you don't see

"You're staring, again." It wasn't said as something annoying, the softness in the tone was a part of the whole thing, he didn't want to trigger any emotional outbursts or causing a scene. Luke's eyes glanced away from what he had been focusing on for god knows how long, landing on Calum instead and felt how a frown was falling upon his face. He touched his jaw lightly with his fingers trying to come up with something to say but there was no words being spoken from Luke. Only a huge sigh that seemed to be enough, Calum didn't have to hear any apologizes from him to actually know what was going on. It was obvious, it was to anyone and yet he was the only person checking up on Luke. "I just-," He paused to lick his lips, begging himself not to look again because if he did he knew he wouldn't be able to tear his eyes away from her again. "She's so happy." He settled on looking at Calum, hands coming down to his pockets but he pulled them up again fast. "I love her Calum. I love her." "I know you do." Calum gently placed a hand to his shoulder, seeing the reflection in Luke's eyes of Y/N slow dancing with a guy on the dance floor, her face completely different to his. He didn't get the chance to say another word before Luke had shrugged off his hand and swung his blazer over his shoulder, wanting to be far gone as fast as possible.

Calum:

He takes your hand
I die a little
I watch your eyes
And I'm in riddles
Why can't you look at me like that?

"Is it because I'm her best friend? Is that really it?" He wasn't speaking out to anyone in particular but he knew everyone around him was listening. Michael adjusted the tie around his neck and nervously looked over at Ashton who shared the exact same expression as his blond best friend. None of them knew what to do, Calum had been drinking a non-limited amount of alcohol during the evening to kill his misery, but the only thing he seemed to kill was himself. "Was it because I wasn't quick enough? Taking her hand before that douche got the chance to do so?" "Calum please let's not be rude okay you don't know the guy." Michael tried to be gentle and remove the beer from his hand but with one large slap from Calum he took a step back. "You don't understand do you?" He looked away to look over at Y/N fool around, a piece of his heart breaking. "Nobody understands what I'm going through." "Everyone knows, Cal." Ashton broke in, trying to reach his best friend's eyes but all they were focused on was someone else. "But you don't let anyone in and that's why nobody understands!" It was as if everything seemed to shut down completely around Calum's ears, Ashton voice becoming careless and faint. All he could focus on was the small eye contact they suddenly shared, her face still happy but it seemed to frown away once his expression affected hers.

Michael:

When you walk by
I try to say it
But then I freeze
And never do it
My tongue gets tied
The words get trapped

"No! Don't do that you're already forming bruises." Luke was quick to scold after watching him repeatedly smack his hand against the wall next to him, most probably ending up with breaking all 27 bones. "You don't want to do this we both know it!" "She was right there, Luke! Just like she always is!" Michael took a step back just to avoid the help, he almost couldn't feel his hand and neither did he care if he could. "She was standing right there and I had the chance but you knew what? I blew it Luke like I always fucking do because when she's around it's almost as if I don't know how to speak English!" He could almost force his hand through the wall again with all the anger build inside of him, it was definitely because of the alcohol but that didn't make him less sad of a fool. "I understand that but you can't hurt yourself okay! Not because of a girl, you just need to reconsider what is going on? Is she even worth it?" Luke almost regretted the question by the fire building up in Michael's otherwise always pure green eyes, his lips parting but no words slipped out. "Is she even worth it? Luke she is worth everything." He looked away from the blond haired boy to look back at the crowd of people in the living room from far distance, seeing her dance with her friends. "She is worth all the pain."

Ashton:

Whenever you kiss him
I'm breaking,
Oh how I wish that was me

"Do you sometimes feel that you could just cry? Like not even caring where you're standing or who you are around. You just feel the biggest urge to cry to the point of falling down to your knees until the right person picks you up again?" He looked over his shoulder once he felt the presence of Luke and Calum showing up from his behind, his mouth dry from speaking. "Because that's how I feel right now." "She's here tonight?" Calum questioned softly and stood beside him on the balcony, looking down at the people fooling around at the pool. Ashton slowly lifted his finger to point towards the end of it by the beer pong table, seeing her in what could possibly be his favourite outfit of hers ever. "She's been with this guy. I don't know his name but I can't even." He bit down on his lip after speaking just to hold all the emotions in at once. He didn't want to cry, he didn't want to feel the misery that was creeping right behind his shoulder. "Maybe they aren't a couple. You can't assume that from stalking from the balcony." Luke chirped in but he stopped in track once he saw that one thing none of the three wanted to witness. Ashton's felt his heart sink to his chest once Y/N lifted herself on her toes to kiss whatever guy was standing in front of her, and it was obvious to everyone what Ashton was thinking. God how he wished that was him.