Kicking and Screaming

After ending the call with your mom, you slammed your phone down on the granite counter top. You really couldn't care less if the screen shattered. Lately there's been a ton of tension between you and your parents, and this call simply pushed you over the edge. You couldn't believe that your mom actually had the audacity to suggest that at the upcoming family reunion you should bring a guy instead of your wife, Demi. After 5 years of marriage and one daughter, how could she still not accept your lifestyle?

In an attempt to calm yourself down you filled a glass with water, but it didn't work. As you took small sips all you could think about was the ignorant tone your mom had used. The anger and frustration inside of you was at a boiling point, and before you knew what you were doing, you threw the glass against the wall. It shattered into hundreds of little pieces, but you didn't care. The slight relief in tension you felt gave you an idea that you simply couldn't resist.

You stepped over the glass and practically sprinted to the living room where the family pictures were kept. Quickly finding one that had your mom in it, you grabbed it and slammed it into the shelf, breaking the frame and glass cover. You felt a slight stinging sensation from where some of the glass sliced open your palm, but it didn't matter. Right now all you were focused on was your anger, and you wouldn't stop until every picture that included your mom was destroyed.

With that thought in mind, you grabbed photo after photo, either hitting them against the shelf, dropping them and stomping on them, or throwing them at the wall. You let an obscenity slip every now and then. In your state of mind you failed to notice that Demi had come home with your daughter, and that they were both staring at you. Your daughters small voice broke you from your trance. “Mommy?” she said quietly. You froze, your eyes landing on her. She was 3 years old and probably had no idea what you were doing.

Demi, seeing that you had stopped, picked up your daughter, saying “Come on Bella, let's get you upstairs so you can take a nap.” Before leaving, she gave you a look that said she'd be right back down to talk to you. Now that your mind was somewhat clear, you finally saw the mess you had made. There was literally glass everywhere. “Fuck” you muttered, walking over to the couch.

Now that you had calmed down you became aware of the pain in your hands. You looked at them and saw how the were covered in blood coming from the many cuts on your fingers and palms. You thought about getting up to get the first aid kit, but just as you were about to get up Demi came back down. She had the same thought as you, because she was holding the first aid kit.

She sat down next to you without saying a word, grabbing your hands and cleaning them off. “Demi, I'm so sor-” you started, only to be interrupted by her. “Shh, let me finish.” You nodded and kept quiet, waiting for her to be done. You barely felt the pain as she used the hydrogen peroxide, instead focusing on how you would explain to her why you just destroyed all of those pictures.

“Okay, tell me what happened” she said calmly, not letting go of your hands. You chewed on your bottom lip for a moment before finding the right words to say. “My mom called...” With those 3 words Demi already had a slight idea of what had happened, but she waited for you to finish explaining. “She's planning a family reunion and thinks I should ditch you and go with a guy. She still wants me to bring Bella though.”

Demi shook her head and rolled her eyes at your explanation. “Your mom is such a fucking bitch Y/N. How can she honestly still think that what we have isn't real, even when we have a daughter to prove it?” You shrugged, picking at the bandages Demi had put on the cuts. “You know what would really piss her off?” Demi asked. “What?” you replied, although you already had an idea of what she was going to say.

“If I went anyway. I can already see the look on her face while she freaks out” Demi laughed. You smiled along with her, letting out a small chuckle. This was one of the things you loved most about Demi: how she could easily and quickly put you in a good mood. “Yeah, that would be funny” you agreed.

Demi leaned in to kiss you, and any remaining negative feelings quickly vanished. “I should probably clean this up” you murmured after pulling away. You started to get up, but Demi placed her hand on your arm, effectively stopping you. “Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it. Go and see Bella, I think she wants to tell you about her day.” You gave her a wide smile, kissing her once more before going upstairs. Bella wasn't asleep, obviously having been waiting for you.

“Hey Bella” you whispered, sitting on the ground and pulling her onto your lap. She grinned at you, wasting no time in instantly babbling about her day with Demi. You smiled happily, realizing that nothing your mom could do or say would ever change what you have with your family: perfection.