Not So Bad Pt 2

“Wait, so you’re telling us that the two of you are…together? As in dating?” You held Demi’s hand under the table, looking around at your friends who had looks of disbelief on the faces. Demi responded before you could, which was a good thing because you didn’t really know what to say. How could explain that you’re dating the girl who used to be the bane of you existence after an almost hookup in the bathroom?

“That’s exactly what we’re saying. Since Physics yesterday” Demi announced as if it was a huge accomplishment. You were still getting used to the idea that you were actually dating her, something you had never planned on doing. “Well, we’re just trying things out for now. You know, seeing if things will work out between us.” Demi looked at you with an annoyed expression, but you just shrugged and dropped her hand.

It was obvious that the two of you were still on completely different wavelengths. You had never been interested in her until the encounter in the bathroom, but apparently she had liked you for quite some time. She was more interested in having a relationship than you were, but that didn’t mean you didn’t want to be with her.

Sensing the rising tension, Annie stood up and motioned for you to come with her. “I need you to help me with some homework” was the lame excuse that she came up with. As soon as you got out of the cafeteria and into the hallway she turned to you with a glare. “What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” she snapped. You didn’t know where her sudden anger came from, so you just returned the glare.

“What do you mean? You’re the one who said that we would be a cute couple.” Even though what you had said was true, she still rolled her eyes and scoffed. “That doesn’t mean you actually have to date her! You’ve been complaining about her everyday for such a long time that I find it hard to believe that you can date her without having any ulterior motives.” You just stared at her, shocked that she thought it was okay to question your relationship. “Have you considered that maybe I’m just giving her a chance?” She turned to leave, stopping to tell you one last thing. “Whatever. Just don’t come crying to me when you break each others hearts.”

You watched her walk away, trying unsuccessfully to come up with something to say so you would have the last word. Nothing irritated you more than when someone meddled with relationships, and that’s exactly what she had just done. What was the point of her being your best friend if she wasn’t going to support you? Rather than just standing there and staring mad, you decided it would be best to talk to Demi.

Walking back to your table, you waved away your other friends and sat next to Demi again. There were a million thoughts running through your mind and you had no idea where to start. “You know I’m not just using you, right? I do actually feel something for you, otherwise I never would’ve agreed to this” you said nervously in an attempt to defend yourself. Demi just laughed and grabbed your hand, squeezing it reassuringly. “Of course I know that. I don’t think it’s possible for anyone to resist me” she joked.

“No Demi, I’m serious. Annie is mad at me for some reason an-” She cut you off, not wanting to hear any more. “Look, I get that she’s your best friend, but does it really matter what anyone else thinks?” She waited for you to shake your head before continuing. “So just ignore her. It’s our relationship and we shouldn’t let anyone else interfere. I’m sure she’ll get over whatever she’s mad about eventually. Now come with me, I believe we have some unfinished business in the bathroom.”