Welcome Home!

“Mommy, can we get this one?” You sighed, it had definitely been a bad idea to bring your daughter to the animal shelter just to “look”. “Cece, you know we can't. Momma is allergic to dogs.” She frowned and held out her hand to the small black puppy who frantically licked at it. “No she's not. She always plays with the doggies at the park.” She had a point there. For a 5 year old she was pretty observant.

Demi was on tour for one more week, and she wouldn't be happy coming home to find a puppy. While you were thinking of what to say, a shelter worker walked by and asked if you wanted to play with the puppy. You wanted to say no, but the pleading look that Cece gave you made you say yes. “I'm so going to regret this” you muttered under your breath.

Anything you had said about not giving in was thrown out the window, because an hour later you found yourself driving to the pet store while Cece held the now sleeping puppy on her lap in the backseat. “Are we going to get him lots of toys?” she asked curiously. “Toys, collar, leash, food...” You groaned just thinking of all the things you would need to buy.

You ended up with a cart with more things than necessary, cringing as each item was scanned. “Have fun with your new family member!” the cashier called out as you were walking out. Cece happily accepted the good luck wish, but all you could think about was how Demi would react. You had fallen in love with the little puppy though, so you would have to do your best to convince her that it wasn't so bad to have a pet.

The week went by quite fast, and Demi would be coming back by night. You were exhausted, having gotten no sleep due to the puppy, Cody, needing to go out so much. He had also managed to destroy several pairs of shoes, something Demi wouldn't be happy about at all. “Is Momma going to be mad?” Cece asked as she watched you picked up the remains of yet another shoe. “Maybe, but we need to do our best to clean up before she gets here.”

All too soon you heard Demi putting her key in the door. “Take Cody outside while I talk to her, okay?” She nodded and took him out, just as Demi opened the front door. “Y/N! I missed you so much!” She pulled you into a deep kiss, not letting go until you needed air. “I missed you too. How was the last show?” Normally you paid attention to what happened, but you had been so busy with Cody. “It was great! I'll tell you about it later, where's Cece?”

“She's in the backyard, but before you go see her I need to tell you something.” Demi looked at you and waited for you to explain. Her gaze made you nervous, but you needed to tell her the right way. “Last week we went to an animal shelter...” That was all you needed to say for Demi to know what had happened. “Y/N, please don't tell me you got a dog.” You almost laughed at the look on her face, but held it back for obvious reasons.

“Actually he's just a puppy. And don't tell me any of that crap about you being allergic, because you're always fine around the dogs that my parents have.” Demi groaned and sat down on the couch, taking notice of all the dog toys. “I'm going to ask this even though I already know the answer. Has he chewed up any of our stuff?”

You did laugh this time, because it was almost weird the way he chewed on things. “He's only chewed up your things.” Demi glared at you, not seeing what could possibly be funny. “You can bring him in I guess.” You walked over to the back door and opened it, Cody instantly rushing in with Cece right behind him. Demi greeted Cece with a big hug, pulling away with an annoyed expression when she felt Cody sniffing at her feet.

“Are you serious Y/N? Look at his paws, he's going to get huge!” She was complaining, but as she watched him play around she started to smile. “I guess he's sort of cute too.” She cropped him up into her arms, laughing as he tried to lick her face. You thought you were in the clear until she looked at you with serious eyes. “Just know that you're replacing everything he destroyed.”