Oops

You gave Demi a disapproving look as she once again cursed in front of your son. “Demi, how many times do I have to tell you? He's going to start talking soon and if you're always swearing in front of him then he's going to pick up all of those bad words. I refuse to let his first word be something so vulgar.” She rolled her eyes as you admonished her for the third time today. “I actually think it would be sort of cute. Besides, you curse all the time too so it wouldn't only be my fault” she said with a shrug.

“Yeah, but the difference is that I say it quietly. You yell it out as loud as you can. I'm pretty sure that even the neighbors can hear you sometimes. Sorry Demi, but if his first word is a bad word, then you're taking all the blame.” You both looked down at Luke, your almost year old son who was fascinated with his reflection in the mirror you had given him.

“I don't think he cares about what I say” Demi said, not fully thinking her statement through. You raised an eyebrow at her, struggling to keep yourself from calling her stupid. “Of course he doesn't care! He doesn't even know what those words mean” you quietly seethed. She laughed at herself when it hit her that you were right, but it only made you more annoyed that she wasn't taking this seriously.

“You won't be laughing when he's running around cursing and everyone is looking at us like we're bad parents. Go get him ready, my parents are going to be here any minute for dinner.” She pouted as she picked him up and you started walking to the kitchen, groaning in frustration when you heard her cruse after stepping on a toy. “Sorry” she quickly apologized, but you could hear her laughing as she took him upstairs.

Your parents arrived as Demi was putting Luke into his highchair, so you had to go open the door. You were surprised to see Demi's parents standing behind yours. “Hope you don't mind that we invited them, it's been a while since we all saw each other” your dad said. You hugged everyone, glad that you had made enough food to have some extra.

They followed you into the kitchen, instantly fawning over Luke. “I need to tell you something” Demi said, attempting to pull you to the side. “I have to start serving dinner. Tell me later” you told her, brushing her hand away so you could get everything ready. The panic in her eyes almost made you go back to hear her out, nut you knew everyone was hungry and you didn't want to keep them waiting.

You were talking to your mom and Dianna about how you were considering finding a new job when you heard it. “Fuck!” You head snapped to the side, shocked to hear what had just come from Luke's mouth. “What did he just say?” Eddie asked, just as shocked as you were. Everyone had stopped talking, including Demi who was doing everything she could to avoid making eye contact with you.

You stuttered as you tried to explain what had just happened, but you were interrupted by Luke saying it again. “Fuck.” This time is was clear and there was no doubt about what he had said. “Demi, honey, can I talk to you in the living room?” you asked through gritted teeth. She shamefully nodded and stood up to leave. You went to follow her but decided to bring Luke with you. You didn't want him to keep repeating his new favorite word.

“I warned you this would happen. Oh my God, this is humiliating. What am I supposed to do?” You continued to freak out while Demi just stared at you. “Are you okay with this? Because you don't seem too concerned that our son's first word was fuck” you snapped. She shrugged, taking Luke from you so you could calm down. “I tried to tell you but you didn't listen. He said it while I was getting him dressed and he wouldn't stop/ I want to be sorry, but you have to admit that it's kinda funny.”

You failed to see any humor in the situation, glaring at her to make her explain how she could possibly think this was funny. “Look, you always used to laugh when you read stories like this. Everyone curses, my dad did just now when he almost dropped his phone. They were just surprised to hear it from their grandson.” You listened to her attempt to reason with you, ultimately deciding that she was right. You were still mad though, only because you wanted his first word to be something cute. “I guess you're right. I'm still going to apologize, and while I'm doing that you're going to stay here with him and pick a word that's actually socially acceptable. I want you to say it to him over and over with as much enthusiasm as you can. Don't stop until he's saying it instead of fuck, otherwise you won't be laughing for long.”