I'm Here

"Why do you do this to yourself?" you asked as you sat next to Demi and looked at her phone screen. "Do what?" she mumbled, not really paying attention to you. Sighing heavily, you lifted your hand so you could take the phone away from her. She turned slightly and held the phone just out of your reach, her eyes never leaving the screen.

"You know what I mean. Give me your phone." You held your hand out for it, though she didn't comply. "Fine, if you won't give it to me then please turn it off." She didn't do as you had asked, frustrating you. You clenched your fists, breathing deeply so you wouldn't yell at her.

"Please, Demi. For me?" You were able to momentarily see how conflicted she was before her eyes filled with tears. "They're right, you know. About everything." This is exactly why you had wanted her to give you her phone. Any time she read hate comments, which didn't happen that often, she really let them get to her.

You shook your head, disagreeing with her. "No, they actually couldn't be more wrong." She didn't believe you, continuing to read the comments. "If it wasn't true they wouldn't say it." Her statement pissed you off, not understanding why she believed anything negative that was said about her.

Not giving her the chance to stop you, you quickly snatched the phone from her hands. She immediately tried to grab it back, but you put your arm out to block her. You read through the comments, taking note of what each one said. It was typical hate, ranging from calling her fat to trashing her music. Obviously it was the ones about her appearance that bothered her the most.

You shut the phone off but didn't hand it back to her, placing it at your side. "I wish you didn't believe them" you whispered, fiddling with your thumbs. There was something else you wanted to say, but didn't know how to phrase it without sounded selfish. It had been on your mind for some time now.

She didn't respond, so you made the risky decision to just bring it up anyway. "It hurts me when I see how you let what they say bother you." Her reaction was slow and you could tell that she was confused. "How can it hurt you? It's not like they're saying mean things about you."

You rolled your eyes, knowing that she wouldn't understand. "It makes me feel like I don't matter. I tell you everyday how much I love you and how perfect you are, and when you let their comments hurt you it hurts me too. But it's not just me. You have millions of fans who practically worship the ground you walk on, but for some reason you let a handful of people who are just jealous of you offend you. If you would just scroll past the 3 or so hateful comments you would see the thousands of comments praising you."

You ended your speech there, not wanting to say something you didn't mean. Demi had a look of shock on her face and you wondered if you had gone too far. "Y/N...I had no idea." Trying to appear nonchalant, you shrugged. "It's nothing, Demi. Forget I said anything" you muttered, standing up to leave. She grabbed your arm and forced you to sit back down.

"No, you're right. I don't know why I let their stupid comments hurt me. But the things you say mean the world to me. Please believe me." It was hard for you to believe her because if she truly meant what she said, then she would never pay attention to hate comments. You needed to be truthful with her.

"I really hate to say it, but I don't believe you. You need to prove to me that what I say is more important than the haters." She nodded, already knowing what you wanted her to do. "Will turning my phone off if I see a negative comment be good enough?" You smiled, kidding her lightly. "Only if you come to me right after, so I can show you how wrong they are."