Second Best Pt 3

It was already 11 pm and Demi should've been home 2 hours ago. You were worried even though you really shouldn't be. You had quit your job yesterday, much to your boss' chagrin. She had begged you to stay because she believed you were the best employee, but you just smiled and told her you had other priorities in life. As much as you wanted to stay you knew that Demi would just get her way sooner or later.

Just as you were about to call Demi's manager and ask if she knew where Demi was, the front door flew open and Demi stumbled in. You had never seen Demi drink, if there was one thing she was serious about it was her sobriety. She made her way over to the couch you were on and dropped down on the opposite side.

“Dem?” you asked cautiously, not knowing how she was feeling. She looked at you with glassy eyes. Had she been crying? “They're leaving me Y/N” she stated simply. That didn't make any sense, so you asked for clarification. “Who's leaving you?” She didn't answer you, just pulled out her phone and placed in on your lap. She had opened her Twitter, which you looked at for a moment before finally seeing what was wrong.

Her amount of followers had dropped drastically. Her once 23 million was now down to 17 m, a huge change. “What happened?” you asked, stunned. She had her head in her hands, so her answer was muffled. “They hate me. Look at my mentions.” You did so and were shocked by what you saw.

Her now ex-fans were calling her out for her blatant cheating, telling her how disappointed they were that their idol seemed to show no remorse for it.

You silently handed her back the phone, not knowing what to say. You wanted to comfort her but didn't know how. “My label is thinking of dropping me too. They say that I don't represent their values anymore.” You should've been surprised at that but in reality you weren't. Karma had to hit her eventually, and now it finally was.

“Where did I go so wrong?” You let out a breath you didn't even know you were holding at her words. It meant that she wasn't blaming you for once. “I don't think that matters, you should just focus on why you're doing it.” You looked away from her at this point, waiting for her to retaliate. It's one thing for her to blame herself, but it's different if you blame her.

Surprisingly, she didn't. She just got up and left, going upstairs and leaving you behind. Normally you would've followed her, but not this time. She needed time to think and sleep off the alcohol. You hesitated getting on Twitter, remembering how much hate you had received from some of her fans that believed you were to blame for her behavior. You logged on anyway, deciding that haters don't matter.

You were pleasantly surprised to see that everyone was tweeting at you and reminding you to stay strong. For once people were realizing that Demi wasn't the person they thought she was. That thought conflicted you. Why was it that you could accept that she wasn't a good person, yet you still loved her and didn't want to end things with her? There had to be a reason, and you intended to find out what it was.

“I was wondering when you would join me” she said with a small smile as you got in bed with her. “Sorry.” There you go again, apologizing for something that wasn't your fault. “Why do I put up with all of your shit?” You hadn't meant to speak your thoughts, but it came out anyway. If she wasn't pissed before you figured that you had probably just pushed her over the edge.

Apparently not. “Remember when we first met?” You furrowed your eyebrows and tried to figure out where she was going with this. “I thought you were so beautiful. You didn't even seem star-struck and just treated me like a regular person. And then when we had been dating for a while and you agreed to move in with me I was so ecstatic. I saw a future with you. I wanted to have a family with you. Then I had to go and fuck everything up, and now you're having a baby without me being involved.”

She sounded so sad and that broke your heart. “Do you still see a future with me?” you asked quietly. She hesitated for a moment before answering and you were terrified she would say no. “I never stopped.” You looked over at her and saw that she was crying. “Demi? What's wrong?” She shook her head and pulled you closer to her and gently rested her hand on your stomach. “I want this baby to have a happy family when it's born. I want us to go back to normal so bad Y/N. I don't know how though” she cried.

Demi was showing her vulnerable side, something you thought you would never see again. You lightly rubbed her back, not really knowing what else to do. There was so much desperation in her voice that it caused you to choke up a little. “I think you need help Demi. There's something going on in your head and you're taking it all out on me. You need to step away from the spotlight and take some time to focus on you for once.” To your surprise, she nodded in agreement. “Okay. But I need you with me still. You have to promise me that you won't leave me.” You smiled and kissed her forehead. “Of course. We're both going to work hard to get you back to being you.”