Over Pt 3

7 months had passed since you had essentally given up on having a relationship with Demi. You would change the subject whenever any of your friends tried to bring her up, so you really had no idea how she was doing. She hadn't tried getting in contact with you, giving you the impression that she didn't want to try and make things right. Lately you had been spending a lot of time thinking about her, wondering if it was worth it to try and talk to her or if you should just move on. Unfortunately for you, it seemed as though you would have to make that decision sooner than you had planned.

You were picking up a few things that you needed for dinner when you looked up from your shopping list and saw Demi standing right in front of you. "Hey" you whispered, berating yourself for being stupid enough to shop at a grocery store that you knew Demi frequented. She looked into your cart, and you swore she looked relieved to see that you were only buying enough for yourself. "How've you been?" It was a typical question for unexpectantly bumping into an ex, and if Demi hadn't asked it than you most likely would've.

"Great. You?" She shrugged, making you want to turn and run away. Why couldn't she have just said that she was doing fine? Instead she had to go and do something that would make you seem like a bitch if you just smiled and continued shopping. You really didn't know what to say to her. You had been the one to end things, but it was her who had tried to get you to stay. The only thing you could think of to say would lead to a brief conversation, and that was the last thing you wanted.

"Do you want to have dinner with me?" Apparently your brain and mouth weren't connected, because that was so not what you were going to say. She was as surprised by your inviation as you were. "Are you sure? Last time we had dinner together things didn't go so well" she said with a dry chuckle. "Absolutely! I have a few more things to get but you can just follow me to my apartment and we can talk." once again, your words were the opposite of what you were thinking. Demi didn't seem to notice or care, smiling widely and saying that she would just meet you back at your place.

True to her word, she was lready waiting for in the parking lot of the apartment complex where you lived. You couldn't remember when you told her where you had moved, so she obviously found out through your family or mutual friends. "Sorry it's such a mess" you muttered as you held open the door for her. "I don't mind. I'm sure you have more important things to worry about." She sat down at the table and watched as you cooked, not offering any held or trying to talk. It wasn't awkward like you had thought it would be; you just hoped the rest of dinner would be the same.

"I've been seeing a therapist for my problems" she announced as you sat down to start eating. That surprised you because she had been so insistent that she couldn't change and that you should just accept her issues. But just because she was getting help didn't mean that she was actually getting better. "Really? How's that been working out for you?" The smile on her face told you all you needed to know. "It's amazing. I can actually sense a difference in my daily life now that I'm not worrying about the small things. I just feel like there's one thing missing..." And there it was. You looked up at her but she was staring at her plate, anxiously pushing the food around with her fork. You tried several times to say something, failing again and again.

"You really don't have a response to that?" She wasn't mad, she actually had a small smile. Having never been good at confronting problems head on, you couldn't help but blush. "I'm really proud of you" you eventually mumbled, returning the smile. She finally looked up at you, her smile growing when you made eye contact.

"Do you realize how much I love you?" she said while reaching across the table to grab your hand. Despite knowing how sweaty your palm was, you didn't protest. Her hand was just as sweaty as yours, so she was equally as nervous. If she was willing to get help for her issues when you thought there was no hope for your relationship, then you didn't doubt that she loved you as much as she claimed. But did you love her back? There was only one way to find out.

Pushing your chair back, you stood up and moved over to where Demi sat on the other side. You were still holding hands, so you pulled her up so you were standing face to face. Having been apart for so long, at first the kiss was so intense it took your breath away. There were so many emotions that you knew your lips were going to be bruised, but you really didn't care. "I think I love you more" you whispered against her lips, pulling away for a moment just to catch your breath. When her lips touched yours again, the kiss was much softer.

"You're coming home with me, right? Our house is so empty without you there." Her voice held the slightest hint of worry at the thought that you still might not want her back. She was crazy to think that. "I hate this place anyway" you said, making her giggle into the kiss. You had missed her laugh so much that your heart actually ached when you heard it. The ache would soon be gone, you were starting over and you had your Demi back.