So Much For You

Demi reached over the center consoled so she could squeeze your hand reassuringly. “Stop worrying about it. I love you and I’m sure they’ll love you too, okay?” You weren’t as confident as she was. You had already met her little sister, Maddie, and now you were about to meet the rest of her family. Needless to say, you were rather nervous.

She smiled at you when she pulled into the driveway of her parents house, which you failed to return. “I can’t do this” you insisted, refusing to get out of the car. Demi sighed, walking over to your side and opening the door. “Yes you can. At least try, for me?” You stared at each other until you cracked, mumbling under your breath about how much you were dreading this.

While waiting for someone to open the door, you anxiously wiped your sweaty palms on your dress. It just so happened that while you were doing that, Demi’s mom answered the door and her eyes instantly landed on you. “Oh, you must be Y/N! If your hands are dirty than there are better ways to clean them than using your clothing.” She was smiling brightly, confusing you as to what the intention of her comment was.

Demi didn’t see the offended look on your face, hugging her mom and tugging you into the house. “We’re all just in the living room” Dianna said, letting you and Demi follow after her. Maddie gave you a friendly hug as soon as she saw you, but Dallas and Eddie didn’t bother moving from their spots. Demi hugged them individually, sitting down on the loveseat with you, making a quick introduction.

Everyone except Maddie was staring at you, no doubt silently passing judgment. “So Y/N, do you work? Go to school?” Eddie asked curiously. “I’m taking a break from school, but I work at a coffee shop a few blocks from my apartment.” Dallas let out a small laugh, slightly offending you.

“How long have you been working there, and do you ever plan on buying a house?” What was this, an interrogation? You looked to Demi for help, silently willing her to say something in your defense. She only shrugged as if she didn’t see anything wrong with the questions. You were about to answer but Dallas interrupted you.

“Where did you meet Demi? I can’t think of any situation where you two would be in the same place.” Dianna and Eddie nodded in agreement, waiting for you to answer. “What makes you think that?” you asked, worried about what her reply might be. ‘Well, it’s just that Demi never goes to the other side of town where I’m sure you live.”

You gasped, shocked not only by how blunt she had been but also because Demi didn’t stand up for you. “I actually don’t live that far from her, in face, we live in the same zip code” you informed them before turning to Demi. “Can we talk somewhere more private?”

She made up an excuse to go and talk to you, getting up with your hand in hers. “What did you need to talk about?” she asked once she had brought you to the hallway. You shook her hand away, glaring at her. “What the hell was that? They’re being complete assholes by assuming that I’m poor and you’re not doing anything to stick up for me” you snapped. “That’s just how they are, all they’re trying to do is get to know you better.”

She really didn’t see anything wrong with their comments? If she wasn’t going to defend you, then you didn’t want to be here, or with her. “I’m going home. Tell Maddie I said bye.” You got to the front door before realizing that she drove here and you had no way of getting back to your apartment. “I’ll just call a cab” you mumbled, ignoring her offer to lend you her keys.

When you got home, you sat down and thought about what had just happened with her family. She had always described them as being so kind and welcoming. To you, they were obnoxious and rude. You might’ve broken up with her, you weren’t exactly sure. How could she say that she loves you, yet not put any effort into defending you? It really hurt.

You were about to get into bed when there was a knock at your door. If it had just been the doorbell you wouldn’t have gotten up, but since nobody knocks unless it’s important you felt like you needed to see who it was. You weren’t that surprised to see Demi.

“You should’ve called” you deadpanned, opening the door wider so she could come in. “You would’ve ignored me.” True, but that’s why she should’ve called. You didn’t think she deserved time to talk, but you decided to be nice and hear her out.

“Look, I know I screwed up. I’m not going to try and make any excuses because there aren’t any. Their opinion of you doesn’t change the way I feel. If you give me a chance to redeem myself, I still want to be with you.” She pushed some hair behind your ear, leaving a lingering touch on your cheek. “Please. I really love you” she whispered.

You sighed, hating the position she had put you in. It didn’t help that you were still made at her for staying quiet while her family belittled you. “It depends. Are you still going to sit around and let them insult me?” She was quick in her response. “Nope. If they ever say anything again I won’t hesitate to tell them how wrong they are.” She finally made you smile, telling you exactly what you wanted to hear. You stopped her when she leaned in to kiss you, laughing at her confusion. “Wait. Let me go change and then we can go back, because I need you to prove that you’ll stick up for me.”