Better Now

You couldn't remember the last time you had argued with Demi. Anytime there was a disagreement you would have a mature conversation with her to work it out, which is probably why you felt so uncomfortable with her standing in front of you while yelling about how you needed to be more attentive to her needs. Her argument seemed a but hypocritical to you because it was technically her fault that you couldn't find the time to pay attention to her.

“Have you ever though that maybe if you were home more often we would be able to do the things you want to do? I give you my work schedule as soon as I get it. You're just too self absorbed to realize that it's your fault that we don't get to spend any time together” you retorted once she finished her rant.

You didn't want to keep arguing any longer and Demi was too proud to ever admit that she was wrong, so you grabbed your keys off the kitchen counter with a huff and turned to leave. “I'll be back when I feel like it” you told her. You could feel her glaring at you all the way to the door, but you didn't care. You needed to get away from the situation before either of you said something that would end up being regretted.

You drove straight to a club that had just opened up a few days ago. All of your friends said that it was definitely one of the best in the city, but you rejected their invitations to go with them, thinking that you would somehow be betraying Demi if you were to go out and get drunk. You had spent more than enough time conforming to her sober lifestyle, so it was only fair that you had fun every now and then.

Hours later you found yourself on the packed dance floor, surrounded by a mass of drunk and sweaty people trying their best to prove that they could dance. Their was enough alcohol in your body that you weren't even bothered by the stranger who had his hands on your hips and was encouraging you to grind on him.

“Are you here by yourself?” he whispered into your ear, stroking his thumbs over the strip of skin that had been exposed as you danced. “My girlfriend and I got into an argument” you responded, indirectly answering his question. He grinned and offered you his hand which you quickly accepted. “Let me take your mind off of her.” You agreed, not thinking of the possible consequences.

Several weeks passed before you realized you made a huge mistake. Any words that you had exchanged with Demi in anger had been forgiven, but that didn't matter anymore. “What do they say?” Demi asked through the bathroom door. You double-checked the instructions on the box to be absolutely sure that you weren't misreading anything.

“Positive.” You were thankful for the door preventing you from seeing Demi because you couldn't even imagine what the look on her face must be like. “All of them?” she asked as if she didn't believe you. You looked down at the three pregnancy tests on the counter, each of them confirming that you were indeed pregnant. “Yeah” you answered.

Other than a quiet sound of acknowledgment, Demi didn't offer you any words of support. She stayed silent for so long that you wondered if maybe she had walked away. “Demi?” you questioned, waiting anxiously to hear her voice. “I have to go.” You heard the shuffling of footsteps as she walked away,, followed by the front door opening and being slammed shut. Demi had once told you that she was bad with breakups and you knew now how true that was.