Hard to Get

You were watching a movie with your best friend of several years, Demi. She was paying more attention to it than you were because you were so nervous about what you had finally decided to tell her. You didn't understand how she could be so oblivious to the way you felt about her which is why you couldn't wait any longer to tell her.

“Can I talk to you about something important?” you asked in the middle of the movie. She grabbed the remote and paused it, tilting her head as she looked at you with concern etched on her face. “Sure. What's up?” You wiped your sweaty palms on your jeans, suddenly realizing just how nervous you were. You had rehearsed this very moment so many times in your head, but right now you were freezing up.

She was about to ask if you were okay when you took a deep breath to calm your nerves. “You know how I never really date anyone?” She nodded, silently urging you to continue. “I don't really know how this happened, but I kinda think I'm in love with you.” You shut your eyes, not wanting to see her expression.

She cleared her throat awkwardly several times and swallowed loudly before she finally acknowledge what you had said. “I'm straight and you're my best friend. You can't be in love with me. It's wrong and it ruins everything. You need to get out of my house.” You knew that she was likely to react int hat way, but it still hurt. You grabbed your phone and left without giving her another glance.

You didn't cry until you got home, but the tears were more out of anger than sadness. If the roles had been switched and she had confessed her love you, you never would've kicked her out. You would have calmly explained that you didn't feel that same way and then laughed quickly to move past the awkward situation. But why were you so hung up on Demi? There were several other girls who wanted to be with you, so pushing Demi to the back of your mind, you picked up your phone and sent out a few texts.

Three weeks later you were at the park with a girl that you had been on several dates with and you were actually starting to like her. Things were going really well until you bumped into the last person you wanted to see. You tried to quickly move away but it was already too late. “Y/N? What are you doing here?” You scoffed and put on a fake smile as you looked at Demi. “I'm on a date. Now if you could please move along so we can keep walking that would be great.” She seemed surprised that you had so much anger in your voice, taking a step back but not leaving.

“I don't believe we've met before. I'm Vanessa” your date said, holding her hand out to Demi. “I'm Demi, Y/N's best friend” she said, putting extra emphasis on her last two words and ignoring Vanessa's extended hand/ You glared at Demi, trying to get her to go away. How dare she still refer to herself as your best friend after she so coldly rejected you?

Breaking through the tension, Demi shifted her gaze from Vanessa to you. “I'm really sorry for the way I reacted when you told me all of that stuff. I did some thinking and I decided that I was just in denial and I actually feel the same way.” Vanessa had no idea what Demi was talking about, ready to excuse herself so you could be alone with your so-called best friend.

“No, I don't need to talk to her. You messed up and I'm over it. You can go away now, I'm busy.” Demi's eyes gave away her confusion and hurt, yet you had no regrets. It was nice to be the one doing the rejecting. You grabbed Vanessa’s hand and started to walk away but only made it a few feet before Demi called out to you. “Why are you lying to yourself? I've known you for long enough that I can tell you're not over it. Just give me one chance to prove that I really am sorry.”

You ignored her apology, not believing one word of it. “She's insane” you muttered to Vanessa, though you started to feel bad as you walked away from Demi.

You wanted to pretend like everything was fine, but your mood was completely changed from your encounter with Demi. Unable to concentrate on Vanessa, you apologetically cut the date short. “I'll text you later” you said after a quick kiss. She knew you weren't telling the truth, smiling sadly and walking back to her car. You got into yours and rushed home so you could think about what Demi had said.

Apparently she couldn't wait to talk to you because when you got home, she was already waiting for you. “Are you really going to pick her over me?” she asked as soon as you stepped through the door, following right behind you. “You told me to leave, Demi. I did. You can't honestly expect me to sit around and wait for you to come to your senses.” She bit her lip and looked at the ground, no doubt realizing that the way she reacted had been too harsh.

“So that's it? You're not even going to give us a chance?” You thought it was a but unfair of her to say that when she was the one who hadn't given you a chance in the first place. “I didn't say that. Why do you think I came home so fast? I was actually going to go talk to you” you said, her lips twitching into a small smile when she picked up on what you meant. “Wait, so you're not picking her over me?” she asked in slight disbelief. You nodded in confirmation, gasping in surprise when you felt her lips on yours. “Don't play hard to get with me ever again, I absolutely hated it” she said while laughing. You smirked in response, she may have hated it but it definitely worked out for you.