Do It Better

“Brendan just texted me asking me out to lunch and then a movie. Do you want to come with us?” you asked Demi as you put your shoes on. “Right, so I can be the third wheel to my best friend and her boyfriend? No thanks” she scoffed while rolling her eyes. You gave her your best pout, hoping to change her mind. “Please? Sometimes he doesn't know what to talk about, and you always know what to say.”

“Fine, but if it gets awkward I'm leaving.” You hugged her in thanks, dragging her excitedly to your car. “You should get a boyfriend, going on double-dates would be so fun!” She huffed and turned up the music, not wanting to talk about the subject. Come to think of it, you had never seen Demi have a serious boyfriend. She always went on dates with random guys but it never progressed into anything more. Whatever suits her, it's not like you were going to play match-maker for her.

When you got to the restaurant, your boyfriend was already waiting for you. “Hey,” you greeted him with a hug and a kiss, “I hope you don't mind that I invited Demi.” He looked over at her and smiled in acknowledgment, bending down to keep kissing you. You didn't pull away until Demi cleared her throat, not having noticed that you were practically making-out in public. “Sorry” you apologized, but Demi just shrugged and walked in to get a table.

“She needs to get laid” Brendan commented under his breath as the two of you followed after her. You smacked his arm to make him shut up. “Don't talk about her like that.” Regardless of Demi's bad attitude right now, she was still your best friend and you didn't want to hear anyone diss her. Demi didn't even look at you as the hostess led you to a booth. Demi slid into one side and for a very brief moment you actually considered sitting next to her, until Brendan pushed you in and sat next to you.

The three of you made small talk until a waitress came to take your order. Demi ordered first, then Brendan. Except instead of just ordering for himself, he also ordered for you. You didn't mind since it was something he usually did. Demi, meanwhile, was shocked.

“She can make her own decisions you know” she snapped, glaring at Brendan. You kicked her leg, letting her know that you didn't really care. She ignored the kick, still glaring at him. Brendan put his hands up in defense, not wanting to argue with her. “You're right. It's just our thing, I always order for her. Right babe?” Demi looked at you appalled, thinking it had just been a one time thing. It made you embarrassed to nod in agreement with him.

You felt the need to apologize to her once again, even though you didn't know why. Before you could stop yourself, you reached across the table and grabbed her hand. You offered her a small smile, feeling better when her glare dissipated and she returned the smile. You couldn't help but notice how soft her hands felt compared to Brendan's callused ones. When the thought crossed your mind that you would rather hold hers, you quickly let go. You hoped that they wouldn't notice that you were blushing.

Thankfully they didn't, and the tension that Demi had caused was eased by the food arriving. The conversation was easy and no more awkward moments occurred. You made sure to nudge Demi's foot anytime you could tell she was thinking of being rude to Brendan, quickly shutting her up. By the time the bill was paid, she seemed to be in a much better mood, making you hopeful that things would go better at the movies.

You sat in-between Demi and Brendan, frowning when he made a move to hold your hand. Demi saw it out of the corner of her eye and made a disgusted face, and you almost laughed out loud. “What's so funny?” Brendan was looking at you curiously, apparently you had been quietly laughing without realizing it. You just shook your head instead of giving him a response.

As the movie started and the lights dimmed, Brendan let go of your hand so he could rest his on your thigh. Normally you wouldn't mind, but you felt a little uncomfortable with Demi right there. Regardless, you let him leave it there. It's not like she could see anyway.

You were so engrossed by the movie that when a hand was placed on your other thigh, you almost fell out of your seat. “Demi?!” you gasped, not knowing what else to say. She looked incredibly smug, leaning over to whisper to you. “If you want me to move it I will.” You shivered as her hot breath hit your ear, nervously looking to make sure Brendan wasn't paying attention. He wasn't, so you didn't see any reason for Demi to move her hand.

You went back to watching the movie, but this time there were other things on your mind. Is this why Demi had never gotten into a serious relationship? Did she really like you or was she just messing around? You need answers, and now.

You quickly told Brendan you needed to go to the bathroom, yanking Demi up along with you. “What the hell was that?” you demanded after making sure there wasn't anyone in the stalls. “Didn't you like it? I saw the way you looked at me in the restaurant after holding my hand.” You shook your head in disbelief that this was actually happening. You were with Brendan and you liked guys, not girls. Especially not Demi.

You were so absorbed in your thoughts that when Demi kissed you, you didn't even push her away. In fact, you actually liked it. Just like her hands, her lips were softer and much more luscious. “Don't you prefer this over Brendan's nasty lips?” She smirked triumphantly when you nodded. “Good. Now I need to show you all the other things you've been missing out on.” You didn't complain when she pushed you up against the sink and started feverishly kissing your neck. All you knew was that you would be leaving with a girlfriend, because who needs a boyfriend anyway?