Mistake Pt 1

You walked out of the doctor's office with a huge smile on your face. After months of trying you were finally pregnant, something you and Demi had wanted for so long. You couldn't wait to get home and share the news with Demi, who no doubt would be equally ecstatic.

When you got home Demi wasn't there, but she had left a note on the kitchen table. “Out. Be back soon” it read. The curtness of the note was unusual, as Demi usually left sappy and long-winded notes for you. You pushed it aside because having her out of the house meant you could come up with a cute way to tell her that you were pregnant.

You wanted to come up with a unique idea, and after spending a considerable amount of time online you finally found one that you liked. Someone had said that they dropped a poppy seed into their partners hand and waited until they were confused to explain that the size of the poppy seed was the size of the baby. You knew Demi would enjoy being told that way.

You made sure that you had poppy seeds before cleaning the living room to pass the time. When Demi finally came home you tried your best not to act any differently, not wanting her to figure it out. “Hey babe” you greeted as she walked through the door.

You were slightly offended when she glared in response. “What's wrong Demi?” you asked concerned. She broke the glare and ignored your question, shoving past you to get to the fridge. Okay, now you were annoyed. She could've just asked you to move, but instead she chose to physically move you out of the way.

“What the fuck Demi? Just because you had a bad day doesn't mean you can take it out on me.” She grabbed a soda from the fridge before turning around and glaring at you again. “You know, I came home expecting dinner to be ready” she snapped. You looked at her confused. It was only 3, way too early for dinner.

“I'm not sure why you would expect that, since we don't usually eat until 6 or later. And why should I have to make you dinner? Make it yourself if you want it so bad.” She laughed and put the soda down, leaning against the counter. “You're right. I'm sure anything I make would taste better than the shit you usually serve.”

Where was all of this coming from? Sure she'd been moody within the last month, but nothing like this. You looked at her closely before thinking of what might be causing it. “Have you been taking your medicine?” you asked, referring to the pills she took for her bipolar disorder.

She rolled her eyes as though she found your question ridiculous. “Of course I have. How stupid do you think I am to not take them?” As much as you wanted to, you couldn't find it in yourself to believe her. You walked over to the drawer where she kept her pills and pulled it open, frowning when you saw the completely full container.

“Pretty stupid Demi. Especially because you knew I could just walk over and check. Why haven't you been taking them?” She straightened her posture and took a few steps towards you. In the six years you had been with her you had never been afraid of her. You were now. You could see the anger in her eyes, even though it was unfounded.

“Dem...” Your voice was quavering and she smirked when she heard it. “First of all, don't call me that. And you want to know the real reason I stopped taking them?” You nodded slowly, not sure you really wanted to know.

“They make me feel things that aren't real. Like loving you. How foolish of you to think that I could ever love someone as pathetic as you. I only asked you out because I felt sorry for you. I actually enjoyed stringing you along. You followed me around like a lost puppy and did whatever I asked. That's the only reason I bothered keeping you around.”

Her voice was cruel as she spoke, and you couldn't believe that she could look you in the eye and say those things. Tears were falling from your eyes but you didn't wipe them away. “Y-you don't mean that. Do the six years we've been together mean nothing at all?” you said.

“I see them as a waste of my time. Now the real question: why are you still doing here?” Did she really just ask you to leave? You almost did, but then you remembered what you had forgotten during the argument.

You made your way to the front door, turning around to face her with your hand on the knob. “You know that thing that we've wanted for so long? It finally happened. I'm pregnant.” You left her there with a shocked expression on her face, slamming the door shut behind you. You got in your car and started driving, even though you didn't have anywhere to go. Anywhere would be better than that house with Demi, even if it meant you had to be alone.