Over Pt 1

Demi’s less than enthusiastic greeting as you walked into the house was uncharacteristic of her, but you just wrote it off as her being distracted by the book she was reading. “Have you had dinner? If not, I stopped at the store and bought some stuff to make lasagna” you told her while walking to the kitchen. All she did was grunt in acknowledgement of your statement. Lasagna was her favorite food, but if she was in a bad mood then it was best to leave her alone.

You made the lasagna, putting it in the oven so it could cook and then going to sit with Demi. “Is the book interesting?” you asked, trying to start a conversation with her. “Yup” she responded, not glancing up at you. Her uncaring attitude made you frown, you were making her favorite meal and she still was in a bad mood? You couldn’t think of why she was annoyed. She had the day off and you had tried, unsuccessfully, to convince your boss to let you stay home.

Since Demi didn’t want to talk, you grabbed your phone to check Twitter. Not seeing anything worthwhile, you decided to text a friend. “Who’re you texting?” Demi’s sudden question startled you, but at least she was showing interest in what you were doing. “Just a friend.”

She slammed her book down on the coffee table and glared at you. “Does this friend have a name?” she asked in a slightly accusing tone. “Duh, but I’m not sure what that has to do with anything” you said, setting your phone down as it vibrated. Demi held her hand out, urging you to let her see your phone. “No, Demi. You don’t need to be reading my texts.” You grabbed your phone and put it into your pocket just in case she tried to take it from you. “I’m gonna check on the lasagna” you quietly said, though it hadn’t been in the oven for 15 minutes and was not even close to being done.

“Fuck you Y/N.

 You stopped in your tracks, turning around to face her. “Excuse me?” You needed for her to clarify why she was trying to start a fight with you. “I said ‘fuck you’. How oblivious do you think I am?” she snarled. You assumed it would be better to not say anything, so that’s exactly what you did. “Who is it? Your new coworker? An ex? Just tell me so I’ll know who you’re stupid enough to think is better than me.” Did she just accuse you of cheating on her? If so, it was a ridiculous assumption. Never once had you thought about cheating on her, and you hoped she felt the same about you.

“Demi, I promise I’m not seeing anyone behind your back. I swear that I would never do anything like that to you.” She laughed at you, actually laughed. “So why have you been so sneaky lately? You go out and never tell me where you’re gong. I hope that whoever it is doesn’t mind you staying with them, because I’m so fucking done with you. Get the fuck out of here.”

She was unwavering in her decision, glaring at you and pointing to the door. You were utterly shocked. Breaking up with her wasn’t part of your plan. You picked your purse up before you left, opening it and pulling out a small black box. “Here, this is why I’ve been so sneaky. But you’re right, I don’t want to be with someone who doesn’t trust me anyway” you said, tossing the box on the couch and leaving, slamming the door shut.

You drove away without giving her time to come out and try to apologize. The only place that you could think of where you could stay was a nearby motel, but when you looked for your purse in the passenger seat, you couldn’t find it. You must’ve set it down after taking the box with the ring out. You had no choice but to turn around, not looking forward to facing Demi.

Quietly opening the door so you wouldn’t draw attention to yourself, you looked around until you found your purse on the floor. As soon as you had it in your hands Demi happened to walk into the room. “Don’t freak out, I’m about to leave” you mumbled. “Please stay. I’m so so so sorry for thinking you would cheat on me. I do trust you, I was just feeling insecure because you were going out all the time and that’s something you never do. I don’t want you to leave me” she desperately apologized but you remained indignant.

“Demi, you can’t just expect me to forgive you. What you said really hurt me. If you can’t trust me when we’ve been together for so long, then I really don’t think we’re ready to get married. Maybe this happened for a reason. I’m sorry Demi, but I don’t think we should be together right now.”