Happiness

Today was the day. After several weeks of begging from Demi you had finally agreed to move in with her. You had been together for over a year, so naturally it was the next step. You had packed up all of your belongings into 5 moving boxes, which were currently in Demi's living room waiting to be unpacked.

“It's going to take forever to get everything out” Demi complained sarcastically. You faked being offended and lightly slapped her arm. “Not all of us can buy whatever we want without worrying about money.” Demi knew you were joking, so she pinched your sides playfully. “If only you would just let me spoil you” she sighed dramatically. You laughed and pulled her in for a kiss, smiling against her lips.

It quickly turned heated, but you found the will power to pull away. “We both know that once we start we can't stop, so we should probably unpack my stuff.” Demi pouted but knew you were right, so she begrudgingly went over and picked up two boxes. “Where do these go?” You walked over to read the labels you had put on them. “Um, bedroom. I think there's one more so just go ahead and I'll join you.”

She nodded and hurried off the the bedroom, leaving you to find the other box. You read over the last two boxes and picked up the right one, then walked over to the bedroom. “It's mostly just clothes, so you can just put the away as you open them.” She smiled at you at got to work on the first box, so you started on the one you had grabbed.

You worked in silence for about 15 minutes when Demi noticed something. “What's this?” she asked. You had your back to her so you panicked at the possibilities of what she could have found. It's not like you had anything bad, but maybe something that you had completely forgotten about had managed to get packed up.

“What's what?” you asked while slowly turning around. You blushed when you saw what she was holding, making a move to grab it from her. She smirked and jerked it away. “So tell me Y/N. What is this?” You crossed your arms and looked at her, feeling embarrassed. “It's nothing. I don't even know why I packed it.”

Demi laughed and looked at the object in her hands. “Is that so? I have a feeling it was one of the first things you put away” she teased. You felt your face flush even more, desperate to get it away from her. “Fine, you're right. I'll tell you if you give it back to me.” She looked at it and considered holding onto it, but decided to hand it to you.

You instantly hugged the object to your chest, relieved to have it in your hands. “So, are you going to tell me?” You looked up at her, not realizing how long you had been hugging it. “Right. Promise you won't laugh?” She smirked but nodded anyway. “Promise.”

You looked at the object in your eyes, smiling fondly as it brought back memories. “My parents bought it for me before I was born, and they put it in my crib every night. I kept it in my bed all the time, and I kinda still do. I meant to get rid of it but I guess I'm not ready.” You glanced back up at Demi, surprised to see tears in her eyes. “What's wrong?” you asked concerned.

She laughed and blinked away the tears. “Nothing. It's just that's the cutest thing I've ever heard. Does it have a name?” You smiled when she didn't tease you about it, running your fingers through the dirty and bedraggled fur of the stuffed dog. “Trouble. My dad says he picked the name because I caused nothing but trouble for them from the moment I started walking” you said with a chuckle.

Demi didn't respond, she was digging through her nightstand. You were about to ask what she was doing when she pulled out what looked like a stuffed duck, with fluff sticking out of several holes. “This is Quacky. I've had him since I was like 3 and I keep him in my bed, but I only put him away because I thought you would think it's silly. But now it looks like he has a new bed buddy.”

You couldn't help but laugh at everything. “Maybe they'll be best friends” you agreed, placing Trouble on the bed. She sat Quacky down next to him, wrapping an arm around your waist. “Look, they're already getting along so well.” You both laughed at her comment, realizing how silly the entire situation was. “I feel like I'm 5 again, having conversations with my toys.” She pulled you closer to her, softly kissing your lips. “I don't think you'll ever understand how happy I am that you're here with me.” You smiled and kissed her back, but she was wrong. You knew exactly how happy she was, because you felt it too.