Stealing

“Demi, Y/N is here!” You waited patiently as Dallas called for Demi. It was Wednesday, which meant that you and Demi always spent the day together. It was a tradition you had started years ago that had never been broken. You always loved these days, because it was just you and your best friend, who you kind of wanted to be more than friends with.

Your small smile broke into a large grin when Demi finally appeared. She wrapped you in a warm hug, one that you never wanted to let go of. You blushed heavily when you saw Dallas raise an eyebrow at how long the hug was lasting, so you dropped your arms. You thought you saw a spark of disappointment in Demi's eyes, but decided it was just hopeful thinking.

“Come on Y/N, I've been working on some lyrics but I'm not sure if they're good yet.” You followed Demi to her music room. Watching her do what she loved was your favorite thing ever. Well, second to Demi. She was always so passionate and it was beautiful to watch.

You sat down on one of the chairs and waited for Demi to get her music. She rummaged around on her desk for a few minutes before sitting down next to you with a stack of papers in her hand. “I just feel kinda weird about some of the lines. Can you look at them and tell me if they sound right?” she asked, giving you her puppy dog eyes. 'As if I would even think about saying no' you thought.

You took the papers from her and tried to ignore her hard stare as you started reading over them. As usual, the lyrics were perfect. The words fit so perfectly together. Demi had so much passion inside of her and it displayed itself in her lyrics. “Demi...these are beautiful. I'm sure HWR will like them” you said while giving them back to her. “You really think so?” she asked, obviously not believing you. “Nope, I know so.”

She smiled at you answer, and you froze when your eyes locked with hers. They were so beautiful and inviting that if you didn't look away soon you would probably kiss her. Lucky for you, Dallas came storming into the room, Maddie right behind her.

“Demi, did you fucking use the last of my hair spray?!” You rolled your eyes, typical Lovato fight. You looked over at Maddie and had to bite your lip to stop from laughing at expression. Obviously she was annoyed with her older sisters fighting over the smallest things.

“Uhh, maybe? Just go buy a new one Dallas” Demi replied nonchalantly. This was not the answer Dallas wanted. “That's not the point! You need to stop taking what's mine!” Dallas seethed. When Demi rolled her eyes, Dallas got even more pissed off. “Seriously? How would you like it if I took something that was yours?” You didn't understand when Dallas glanced over in your direction, not sure what you had to do with this petty argument. Her question got Demi's attention right away.

“Don't you dare” Demi growled, clenching her fists. Dallas smirked, knowing she had Demi right where she wanted her. “Watch me.” You watched confused as Dallas moved to where she was standing in front of you. She looked back to Demi before doing something you did not expect at all. She bent down and harshly pressed her lips against you. You were too stunned to push her away, but you didn't kiss back.

“What the fuck?!!” Demi screeched. Dallas pulled away with a satisfied smirk and turned back to face Demi. “It's not fun, right?” she teased. You still had no idea what just happened, but you knew Demi was furious. You shared a worried look with Maddie, knowing how Demi got when she was mad.

“That wasn't the same as hairspray you bitch!” As soon as the words left her mouth, she lifted her arm up. You knew what was coming so you closed your eyes, not wanting to see it. You heard it though. The loud smack reverberated through the room, leaving a silence in it's wake.

When you opened your eyes, you saw the look on Dallas' face change from joking to really pissed. “I'm the bitch?” she snarked, using both her hands to shove Demi. At this point, you were on your feet because they were about to start fighting for real. But at the same time, you really didn't want to get involved. You looked at Maddie pleadingly as the two sisters began cursing at each other with the occasional slap and shove. “It's always me” she huffed. Even though she was younger and smaller than you, she knew how to get them to stop fighting, even if it required force.

Without hesitation, she stepped right up to them. She shoved herself between them, knowing that neither of them would ever hit their baby sister. Just in case though, she grabbed Demi's wrists. Demi was always the more unpredictable one, especially when this mad. “I have a feeling this is about more than just a can of hairspray. Don't you think that there's a better way to work this out though?”

Honestly, you couldn't help but admire Maddie's maturity. You began to feel awkward, having a slight idea that the physical fight was somehow because of you. “I'm just gonna..go. I'll see ya later Dem” you muttered, quickly excusing yourself.

You got out of their house as fast as possible, not comfortable with the tension between the siblings. Yeah you were worried about Demi, but you just had to get out of there. It scared you how violent she got in such a short amount of time. She's never gotten mad at you like that, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen one day...

Hours later, you found yourself walking back to their house. You figured that they had calmed down by now, so it would be safe for you to check up on Demi. Maddie opened the door, already knowing what you were there for. “She's up in her room. Don't worry, she's chilled out.” You nodded in response, making your way up to Demi's bedroom. The door was closed and normally you would just walk in, but this time you knocked lightly.

“Who is it?” Demi's muffled voice called out. “Me” you responded. When she gave you the okay to come in, you gingerly opened the door. You smiled at her, but it quickly turned into a frown when you saw the bruise forming on her cheek. “It's fine, she had every right to hit me back” Demi muttered when she saw what you were looking at.

You sat down next to Demi on her bed, reaching out for her right hand. “Your hand is bruised too” you pointed out. “Guess I slapped her pretty hard” Demi chuckled sarcastically. “I don't like when you get hurt” you whispered, raising her hand to your lips and kissing it. You felt Demi freeze for a second, she clearly didn't expect you to do that.

“What happened back there Dems?” You weren't mad, you just genuinely wanted to know what caused such a strong reaction from her. “Dallas kissed you and that's not fair to you. Y'know, since you're not out to everyone yet...” You felt a pang in your heart when she said that. Demi was the only person who knew that you weren't straight, yet you couldn't even bring yourself to tell her that you have feelings for her. Still, it didn't make sense why she got physically aggressive over it.

“Why did she kiss me anyway? It was kind of random.” Demi looked away from you, whispering something so quietly you couldn't hear. “What was that?” you asked. Demi was clearly having some kind of internal struggle, but she looked in your eyes none the less. “I said she kissed you because you're mine and she wanted to show me what it's like.” Demi thought of your as hers? The slight hope you had that she might return your feelings was dashed when you realized she probably meant that you were her best friend.

You wanted to be sure though. “Yours?” you asked, clearing your throat. Demi nodded in confirmation. “Mine. Or at least I want you to be mine.” She looked away again, this time blushing. Meanwhile, you couldn't believe it. Demi wanted you to be hers! People only said that when they meant it romantically, right?

“Well I hated the kiss. I would have preferred if it was you kissing me” you whispered in her ear. Withing seconds her lips were on yours. It was like heaven really. You had dreamed about it for so long and it was finally happening. Those soft lips that you watched everyday were on yours. And they fit perfectly.

“Was that better?” she whispered, her lips brushing against yours again. You nodded, unable to speak. Instead, you placed a hand on the back of her neck and pulled her to you again, desperate for more of her kisses. “Oh, and you don't ever have to worry about Dallas stealing me from you.” Demi smiled at you, pecking your lips once more. “Good, because I don't want to share.”