Shy

You sat in the waiting room of the ER, trying to remember exactly how you had broken your arm. One minute you had been casually strolling along the sidewalk and in the next you were on the ground. You couldn't figure out what you had tripped over, leading you to accept the embarrassing truth that you had stumbled over your own feet. You weren't a priority so you had been waiting for at least two hours when your name was finally called.

“What seems to be the problem Ms. Y/L/N?” a nurse asked, almost making you scoff. If was pretty obvious what the problem was, and if she would look up from her clipboard then she would quickly figure it out for herself. “I'm pretty sure my arm is broken” you responded, flinching when you tried to move it. “Right. A doctor will be in here shortly to take care of it.” Obviously you weren't a professional, but you were pretty sure that the nurse should've at least taken an x-ray before leaving.

After 30 minutes had passed and no doctor had come in, you started to get impatient. “This is ridiculous” you muttered. All you wanted was to get a cast put on so you could continue on with your day, but instead you were stuck waiting for a doctor that was taking forever to show up. You had just about given up all hope of ever being attended to when the most beautiful woman you had ever seen in your life walked into the room.

“Good afternoon, I'm Dr. Lovato and I normally don't say this, but you can call me Demi. I understand you have a broken arm?” All you could do was nod, worried that if you opened your mouth you would probably say something about how attractive she was. Her short hair suited her so well, yet you couldn't help but think that she would look gorgeous if she let it grow. She gently took your arm in her hands, apologizing when she moved too fast and caused you some minor pain. “Did you already get it x-rayed?” She sighed when you shook your head, carefully letting go of your arm and standing up.

“The nurses are a bit out of it today and I'm not sure why. If you want to follow me I'll get it taken care of.” You followed her through several hallways until you reached the room with the x-ray machine. She properly positioned your arm for the x-ray, smiling at you when it was finished. “You don't talk much. Are you shy?” You felt like such an idiot for literally being at a loss for words because she was so stunning. “I'm fine, it's just, um, I honestly don't know” you said. She laughed, almost as if she knew what you meant. “Well let me just say that you're the nicest patient I've seen all day, and I've seen quite a few” she complimented. Unless your eyes were playing tricks on you, she definitely winked.

“Thanks?” you said, unsure of how you should react. She took you back to your original room, gathering the materials she needed to set the cast. “Tell me if I hurt you” she said as she moved your arm into a straightened position. She could slap you across the face and you wouldn't complain, she was that pretty. “What's your favorite color?” she asked, holding up a few different options for you to pick from. “Um, purple I guess.” She smiled and started wrapping the strip of color around the cast. “Mine too. We have a lot in common.” What did she mean by that? The only things she knew about you were your name, your favorite color, and that your arm was broken. Unless her arm was broken, which it wasn't, then the only thing you had in common with her was liking the same color.

She grabbed a sharpie from her front pocket and quickly wrote something on the cast. “I wanted to be your first signature, but don't look at it until you're out of the hospital” she explained. You thought it was a little overboard that you actually felt sad when she had to go, considering going out and hurting yourself again just so you could see her. “Don't be desperate” you scolded yourself. After paying the way too expensive bill and leaving, you finally looked down at you arm. You were smiling so big when you saw what she had written that people probably thought you were crazy. She had given you her number and underneath it had written what time she got off, adding in “call me, I'm not done taking care of you.” You never thought you would be happy about breaking a bone, but this was turning out to be the best thing that ever happened to you.