Don't Blame Me Pt 3

“I want to see mommy tonight” Kelsey said, stomping her foot and getting ready to throw a tantrum. You bit your tongue to stop yourself from snapping at her. She had been in a bad mood ever since you told her that you wouldn't be able to take her to Demi's show anymore. “I know you do, but mommy did something that wasn't very nice to me and I don't want to see her right now.” Kelsey was still pouting, clearly unhappy with your explanation. “But she was mean to you and not me. I want to see her” she insisted, pouting and doing her best to convince you to take her to the concert.

Her brutal honestly made you frown. Just because Demi had hurt you didn't give you the right to prevent your daughter from having a relationship with her. “Do you really want to see her?” you asked even though you already knew the answer. She nodded quickly with a big smile as she realized you were about to give in. “We can go, but I don't think we'll stay afterward like we usually do.” Of course that wasn't true because Kelsey would most likely do her best to convince you to stay after the show.

Normally at Demi's concerts you stood at the side of the stage, but this time you didn't want to be so close. “We're going to sit in the back, okay? Mommy will still know we're here” you explained, hoping that was you were saying was a lie and Demi wouldn't find out. Kelsey didn't care, she was just happy that she was at the concert. You were tense throughout all of the opening acts, worried that someone might recognize you and tweet that they were sitting next to you and that Demi would somehow see it. You relaxed during the intermission, confident that if nobody had noticed you by now then everything would be fine.

You should've known that things never went the way you planned. Demi hadn't even finished with her first song when you felt someone tap your shoulder. You slightly turned your head, groaning when you saw that it was a random person from her security team. “Demi wants you to go backstage” he said, confused as to why you weren't in your normal spot. “We're perfectly fine here.” He didn't accept your answer, shaking his head and refusing to leave. “She really wants to see you. I don't know what's going on with you and her but she said to send Sugar if you don't lis-” You cut him off, rolling your eyes and standing up. If Sugar came then he would convince you to go backstage no matter how many times you said no, so you decided to just get it over with.

Tightly holding Kelsey's hand, you slowly followed the security guard backstage. You were worried that she might run ahead into Demi's dressing room. Just because Demi was out on the stage didn't mean it would be empty. If she was stupid enough to have Wilmer in there before, you had no reason to believe she wouldn't do it again. Fortunately your fears were calmed when he opened the door and you quickly looked around and relaxed when you saw that Wilmer wasn't there.

“Who are you looking for?” Kelsey asked once the door had been closed and it was just you and her waiting for Demi to finish. “Nobody important” you mumbled in response. With every passing minute you starting wishing you hadn't come at all. You had told Demi that you didn't want to see her until her tour was over, yet not even 5 hours had passed and you were in her dressing room. You were so deep in your thoughts that when the door opened you were actually caught off guard, not having realized how much time had passed.

“I didn't think you would come” Demi whispered to you as she gave Kelsey a hug. All you could do was shrug and look away from her as you tried to think of what to say to her. “She really wanted to see you. I'll go so you can spend some time with her before we go back home” you said, trying to remain as emotionless as possible. She attempted to hide how hurt she was by your aloofness, smiling and talking about random things with Kelsey.

You couldn't stand to be in the same room as her for much longer, so you started inching your way to the door. Demi looked at you with sad eyes when you put your hand on the doorknob but you kept going. You didn't even make it more than a few feet when Demi ran out of the room and grabbed your wrist to stop you from going any farther. “Please don't leave me. I need you” she pleaded, moving her hand down to hold yours. You brushed it away and took a few steps back so you could put some space between you and her.

“You can't honestly expect me to believe that. I caught you with Wilmer earlier and you have the nerve to say that you need me? Just let me leave, I don't want to be with you.” Her eyes were getting teary but yours weren't, making you proud that you were able to maintain your emotions. “I already said that I don't know why it happened” she said, hoping to get you to forgive her. “I know, but you also said that you could've stopped him but for some reason you didn't. I don't know what that reason is and I'm not exactly sure I want to know. If you want to be with him you can just tell me, I won't get mad. I'll be hurt and you'll break my heart, but I won't be mad. Marriages get boring and I can only imagine how you must feel when I don't call for whatever reason.” There was more that you wanted to say but she interrupted you, grabbing your hand again and pulling you closer to her.

“I don't want to be with Wilmer. You're the only person I want to be with. I'm an idiot for not stopping him and I'll never forgive myself for it. Our marriage isn't boring, we're just busy and focusing on other things when we should be focusing on each other. I completely understand when you can't call me because I know that you're at home raising our daughter. There's nothing that I want more than to work this out so we can be happy again. It's only been a few hours and I already can't take it anymore. Please tell me that you want to work it out too...please” she begged, squeezing your hand tightly to stop you from trying to leave again.

Why was it so hard for you to say no to her? Before you could even take a moment to think, you were nodding and telling her that you would stay and try to figure things out. It's not like you would regret it in the end, because it was better than giving her the silent treatment. “I don't really trust you anymore” you warned, dropping her hand since yours was starting to get sweaty from how tight she was holding it. “I know you don't. Maybe this was supposed to happen.” You raised an eyebrow, daring her to explain how something like this was meant to happen.

“Not like that. I mean maybe we needed something to prove to us how important our relationship is. You can't deny that we've been focusing on other less important things when we really should've been working on our relationship. I hate how it took me messing up to realize how much I need you,” For once she was completely right. Along with Kelsey, your marriage to Demi was the most important thing in your life. You had taken it for granted, always thinking that it would remain strong no matter what. “Don't ever do something like that again; next time just tell me that we need to work on things” you said in a joking manner, but you definitely meant it. It may have hurt you, but at least now you could be happy knowing that things with Demi would get better.