Care For You

You had never seen this movie, otherwise you would’ve asked Demi to fast-forward past this particular scene or turn off the TV completely. You ducked your head when bright flashes of light appeared on the screen, but it was no use. Even through your closed eyelids you could still see the flashes, and it only intensified the feeling because you had nothing else to focus on.

The next thing you knew, you were on the ground with a very confused and concerned Demi crouching over you. It took several long moments to register that you had been rolled onto your side and there was a pillow placed beneath your head. Speaking of your head, the sudden onset of a splitting headache was almost enough to make you cry.

You made a move to get up, but Demi’s soft hand on your arm prevented you from moving. You wanted to say something, instead noticing the strong metallic taste of blood in your mouth. Demi wiped away the blood on your lips with a napkin, so you must’ve bitten your tongue really hard.

Feeling embarrassed by the whole situation, you turned your head away from her and hid in the crook of your arm. “Just relax” you heard her say through the ringing in her ears. Exhausted, both physically and mentally, your eyes drifted shut until you were asleep.

You woke up what seemed like hours later in a state of confusion. Your headache hadn’t lessened and you were still on the floor, though there was now a thin blanket tossed over you. “Demi?” you called, not being able to see her. “I’m right here baby. Are you feeling better now?”

You hadn’t noticed that she was sitting on the couch carefully observing you. While you weren’t quite at 100%, you were getting there slowly. “I’m thirsty” you whimpered, shifting into a sitting position. “No water until you completely feel better.” You groaned in complaint, but she didn’t give in.

You spent the next half hour just sitting in silence, remembering what exactly had happened. Knowing that Demi had witnessed it only added to your humiliation. “Why didn’t you just tell me?” she asked quietly, sensing what was on your mind. “Tell you what?” You tried making it seem like the event had been a one time occurrence, hoping she would just drop the subject.

“That you have epilepsy. I called your mom while you were sleeping. Y/N, we’ve been together for 3 months. Don’t you think it’s important to tell me something like that?” Her voice was gentle and held no accusation, so she wasn’t mad at you. She slid off the couch to sit next to you, taking your hand in hers. She made you feel safe enough to let her in on your not-so-secret secret.

“It hasn’t happened in so long because I take medication for it. I guess I just haven’t been getting enough sleep and that worked against the medicine. I’m really sorry for not telling you Demi, you deserve to have known.” She nodded, getting up and going into the kitchen. She returned with a glass of water in her hand and handed it to you as she sat down again. You wasted no time in quickly drinking all of the cool liquid.

“Why haven’t you been getting enough sleep?” she questioned with worry in her voice. Other than the everyday stressed of life there was no reason in particular that you could think of. You shrugged, looking away from her. “How did you know what to do? Most people would’ve freaked out” you asked curiously.

“I had a friend who was epileptic. Are you working tomorrow?” It was a random question, but you shook your head in response. “I want you to stay here tonight. We don’t have to do anything, I just want to make sure you’re okay. I love you and want to help you sleep.” You looked up in surprise at her words, not even knowing if she meant what she had said. “You do?” Her eyebrows furrowed, blushing at the realization of what she had let slip.

“Yeah, I do. I love you so much” she confessed. You leaned over to press your lips against hers, smiling into the kiss. “I really love you too” you whispered, saying out loud for the first time what you had known for several weeks. She didn’t judge you or make you feel ashamed, so how could you resist falling in love with her?