Now You're Gone

“You always do this” Demi complained as she sat down on the couch. Your first instinct was to join her, but given that you were currently arguing with her, you decided that you should just stay standing. “All I'm asking is that you listen to me whenever I want to talk. Is that so hard to do? As soon as I open my mouth you assume that I'm going to start an argument, but that's so not true. We shouldn't be fighting all the time” you said, shifting uncomfortably due to your swollen ankles. Arguing with Demi was easily your least favorite thing to do with her., especially now that you were 8 months pregnant.

Demi didn't respond to you, pretending to suddenly find her hands very interesting. You absolutely hated when she tried to pretend like you weren't even there. “Can you at least look at me when I'm talking to you?” She huffed and pinched the bridge of her nose, seemingly trying to maintain her composure. It didn't work that well, because she couldn't stop herself from snapping at you.

“Y/N, can you just shut up for once? Have you ever thought that maybe I don't want to talk to you? I get up early and when I come home all I want to do is relax, but I can't do that with you pestering me. I just want some peace and quiet before the baby comes.” You were hurt and shocked by what she had just said. The worst part was that she didn't seem to be remorseful at all. “I guess I'll just go out for a bit” you mumbled, hoping that Demi would attempt to stop you and apologize for what she had said.

You grabbed your keys and started making your way to the front door, walking slowly to give Demi time to try and stop you. With your hand on the door, you looked over your shoulder and frowned when you saw that Demi was completely ignoring the fact that you were about to leave and instead paying attention to your phone. “Fuck you Demi” you whispered. You were halfway out the door when she finally replied, but it wasn't what you wanted to hear. “Fuck you too” she said, just loud enough for you to hear each word clearly.

You sat in your car for a little bit, just thinking about your relationship with Demi. It was extremely unfair of her to say that you annoyed her. While you understood that she worked hard all day, she needed to understand that you had no choice but to stay home by yourself, so it shouldn't bother her that you wanted to talk whenever she got home. If anything, she should be happy that you hadn't left her because lately it seemed like she cared more about work than you.

Several minutes had passed when you finally decided to start driving. There was nowhere in particular that you wanted to go, but it's not like you wanted to go somewhere. What you wanted was to calm down, and the easiest way to do that right now would be to just aimlessly drive around. You kept trying to take your mind off of Demi, yet all you could think about was her. Well, all you could think about was if it was a good idea to go back home to her. You knew your parents wouldn't mind it if you stayed with them for a few days, but you would have to face Demi eventually. Completely distracted by your thoughts of her, you didn't notice that the light had changed to red. The last thing you heard was a loud bang before extreme pain radiated through your body and everything went black.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Demi hated this day. She hated a lot of days, but this one was definitely her least favorite. Nobody knew that except for her friends and family, because everyone else just saw her and assumed that she was smiling because she was happy. No, she was smiling because she had to. She had never been a fan of looking weak in front of others, and that was no different when she was in front of your daughter, Emily.

“I'm ready” Emily said from her car seat in the back. Demi glanced at the rear-view mirror and forced another smile when she saw Emily looking at her with an impatient expression. “Just give me a minute” she said softly, loosening the tight grip that she had on the steering wheel even though the car was parked. “But I want to go now” Emily complained in a whiny voice. Demi knew she had to give in, otherwise Emily would start throwing a tantrum and that was the last thing that she wanted to deal with right now.

She opened the door and helped Emily out, gently grabbing her hand so she wouldn't run ahead. “Hurry up” Emily demanded, tugging on Demi's hand to make her walk faster. Demi didn't give in this time, seeing no need to rush. In fact, she would be perfectly fine with taking as long as possible. She knew that wasn't right though. “I'm trying” she whispered, speeding up just a bit. The closer she got, Demi wanted nothing more than to turn around and go back to the car. She hated doing this every year because it only reminded her that if she had just let you talk then there would be no need to come visit you here, at your grave.

With your grave in sight, she let go of Emily's hand, but didn't let her walk ahead until after she had given her some flowers. “I'll be right here” she murmured, looking down at the ground. It was hard every year, but something about this time around was especially difficult. All Demi could think about was how many more times she would have to do this with Emily. She tried to avoid this place as much as possible, finding it too sad to visit more than once a year. Many people criticized her for it, but they didn't know how hard it was. They didn't know how hard it was for her to stop herself from completely breaking down.

“Aren't you going to talk to her?” Emily asked curiously. At 5, she didn't necessarily understand the concept of death, something Demi was rather jealous of. It was easy for her to be happy, and Demi wished she could feel the same way. “I can't” Demi said, her voice cracking as tears threatened to fall. She quickly blinked them away, refusing the cry and ruin the day for Emily. “Why not?” Emily reached for Demi's hand again, waiting for an answer. Demi gave her a sad smile and shrugged, guiding her back to the car. Once Emily was settled in her seat, Demi shut the door and paused for a moment before getting in. She despised herself for not saying anything, remembering how all you wanted to do was talk. “I'll be back tomorrow” she whispered, just like she did every year. While she never let herself cry when visiting with Emily, she would always come back the day after and let out all of her emotions. She would talk about random things for hours, hoping that you could somehow hear her, because now all she wanted to do was talk to you.