Second Best

'Is Demi Cheating...Again?” You looked at the magazine cover with sad eyes, knowing it was true. You didn't want to cry in the middle of the store, so you did what you always do. Paying for stuff quickly, you speed walked out to your car. Your fast pace didn't stop the paparazzi from calling out to you and asking about the latest allegation.

“Y/N, why is she so obvious about it?”

“Why don't you just break up with her?”

“How does it feel to be second best?”

Don't they know that their comments hurt? You were glad you were wearing sunglasses so they couldn't see the tears in your eyes. The silence in your car was welcoming and deafening at the same time. It tuned out the world yet forced you to listen to your own thoughts. Nothing anyone says could possibly be worse than your own thinking.

Even though tears were falling you still felt numb. It was humiliating to you how even the low life paparazzi didn't understand why you didn't just end things with her. Nobody except you could understand. They didn't see how Demi was your everything. She was there for you when no one else was. She told you she loved you every single day. That had to count for something, right?

You must've blanked out, because you got home without even realizing you were driving. It made you a little happier to see Demi's car in the driveway. You took off your sunglasses, cringing when you saw how red your eyes were from crying. Maybe Demi would be too busy thinking of who she wanted to hook up with next to notice.

“Hey baby” she greeted cheerfully when you walked in. Her smile faded when she saw your tear stained face. “What's wrong Y/N?” she asked gently, pulling you into a hug. You hated her for this. How could she go out and be with another and then come home and pretend like it never happened? You inhaled slowly, expecting to be met with her familiar scent. Instead, you got a whiff of a strong cologne.

'Did she just get home from meeting someone?' you wondered. Hot tears fell from your eyes, dripping onto Demi's skin. When she felt them, she nuzzled her face into your hair and rubbed your back slowly. “I'm sorry babe. You know how I get lonely when you aren't here.” You wanted to object and curse her out for daring to blame you for her cheating. Instead, you nodded to show that you understood.

Of course it was your fault. If you were home more often instead of working or buying groceries she wouldn't be like this. “I'm sorry” you mumbled into her neck. You felt sick after saying it. Shouldn't she be the one apologizing? You pulled back a little and smiled at her to make it seem like you were better. “There's that smile I love to see. Now go clean up so we can relax.”

She loves seeing your smile. She probably didn't say that to the others. You wondered if they felt pathetic and used after she made them feel wanted but left to come home to you. That's why you were better than them. She may go and mess around, but at the end of the day it was you who got to be with her.

You were coming back down from freshening up when your phone vibrated. It was a message from your older sister, practically begging for you to break up with Demi. You considered replying when the phone was taken from your hands. Demi's face became angry as she read the message. “Why would she want you to hurt me like that Y/N?” Despite your brain shouting at you not to answer that, you did anyway.

“It's not just her Demi. Everybody says you don't really love me.” The second the last word left your lips you regretted it. Demi closed her eyes and took a deep breath to calm herself down. You cursed yourself for even saying it. She looked straight into your eyes before she dropped your phone to the ground. For added measure she stomped on it, cracking the screen.

“I don't want you talking to her or anyone that dares to question our relationship. Understand?” When you didn't answer right away, her eyes became hard. She roughly grabbed your jaw in her hand and forced you to look at her. “I said do you understand?” You managed to whimper out a yes, terrified of what she was doing.

Never once in your two year relationship had Demi ever put her hands on you. You moved your hands to her arm, attempting to push her away. When that didn't work you knew you had to say something, especially when her hand slipped down to your throat. “D-Demi...please l-let go” you whimpered. At first she didn't move, glaring at you with angry eyes. Then her gaze suddenly softened and she jerked her hand away as if your skin was fire.

“I think I should leave” she said, sounding on the verge of tears. She backed away from you slowly, scared of what she had just done. You watched her for a few seconds before snapping to your senses. “No” you whispered. You swallowed hard and tried to say it again. “No. P-please don't leave me” you said. She stopped and looked at you confused. She had just hurt you and you were begging her to stay? It didn't make sense, not even to you.

You started talking again, even though your voice was quivering. “I don't listen to anyone when they say you don't love me. I know you do because you say it everyday, and I believe you. Even if you didn't, I love you enough to make up for it. I love you Demi, so please don't go. I need you...” She smiled when you finished, her mood again changing. You tried your best not to flinch when she approached you and lightly ran her fingertips over the now bruising area.

“I love hearing that baby. You know you don't have to be scared of me though, right?” Your mind screamed no but you nodded anyway. She leaned in and placed a kiss on your forehead, not noticing when you flinched again. “We can make sure this never happens again if you would just stop being away so much” she explained. You agreed with her, even though now you were more scared now than before. Had that been a threat? There was no way you could stop being gone so much. Your job required a lot of traveling, but then again so did hers.

As she walked away you realized that you had essentially just given her permission to act like this whenever she wanted. Not only that, but you just lost the once chance you had at ending things with her. She was willing to walk away. But you just had to panic and beg her to stay. Was that her intention the entire time? To make you admit that you could never be apart from her no matter what? If so, she got what she wanted. You felt disgusted with yourself for letting her get the upper hand. Nothing was going to change. She was still going to sleep with other people, and you would be the idiot that couldn't live without her.