Sticks and Stones

The tension between you and Demi was unbelievable. You were both crying, but the tears were more out of anger than hurt. You don't even know what started the argument, all you knew was that it had quickly escalated into insulting the other as much as possible.

You know what Demi? I may be all of those things, but at least I'm not a fucking liar” you seethed, smirking at her reaction. “What the hell does that mean?” she demanded. “Those millions of people who see you as an example of sobriety? I'm sure they'd just love to know that you're drinking more than ever before.”

You were sure you just won the argument with that remark, but Demi had one more thing to say. “You're right Y/N, I'm a liar. Because every time I tell you that I love you, I sure as hell don't mean it.” You blinked in shock at her words. All the anger had disappeared and was replaced with hurt. You wanted to respond but you couldn't find the right words. Demi was waiting for you to reply, but you just cast your gaze to the ground and quickly walked to the door. “Fuck you Y/N” she whispered as you left. Typical Demi, always wanting the last word.

You started your car and got on the road, no destination in mind. Had she really meant it? If she did, it make you wonder how long she had been lying. Every time you told her that you loved her you definitely meant it. You were pulling onto the highway when your phone vibrated. Against your better judgment, you grabbed it to read the text. It was from Demi, and you completely took your eyes off the road to see what she had sent. You didn't notice your car drifting into the next lane, and the last thing you heard before blacking out was the awful collision of metal against metal.

The shooting pain in your side was the first thing you felt when you woke up, before your eyes even opened. When you opened your eyes the pounding in your head got even worse due to the bright lights of the room. You looked down and saw your left arm was in a cast, and that's when you realized you were in the hospital.

What had happened? All you could remember was getting into an argument with Demi that ended in you walking out. You let your gaze drift across the room but stopped when you saw someone curled up in a chair sleeping. It was Demi. Just seeing her brought all the hurt and anger back from the fight. You wanted to say something to wake her up, but your throat was too dry to talk.

“Do you need some water sweetie?” You looked away from Demi and saw a nurse smiling at you and holding a bottle of water. You started to nod but stopped when your headache got worse, so you managed a small smile when the nurse understood and handed you the bottle. You downed the entire bottle in less than a minute. “A doctor will be here in a bit to see how you're doing, but in the meantime if you need anything just buzz me.”

You gave her another smile to let her know you understood her before she left the room. As soon as she was gone, you looked back to Demi. This time she was awake and staring right at you. A few moments passed before you decided to speak up. “Why are you here?” Your voice was still quiet but she definitely heard. She stood up and walked over to you and tried to grab your hand, but you moved it away.

“Is this because you were reading my text?” You weren't going to answer at first so you looked away, but then realized she needed to hear it. “I shouldn't have. Maybe I was just hoping you would take back what you said.” There was a tremble in your voice but you refused to cry. “I didn't mean it Y/N. I do love you, so so much” she whispered pleadingly.

You let out a small chuckle at her words. “Why should I believe you? You said it yourself Demi...you're a liar.” She shook her head frantically, this time grabbing your hand before you could move. “I'm not lying because when I got the call from the hospital saying you'd been in an accident, my whole world stopped. I didn't even let the person finish talking before I dropped the phone and got in my car and rushed here as fast as I could. All I could think about was that if you didn't, didn't..”

She couldn't finish talking before bursting into tears, gripping your hand as if you could slip away at any minute. You let your own tears fall when you realized what she was trying to say. “But I'm fine Demi, see? Yeah it hurts a little, but I'm fine.” You squeezed her hand back to reassure her that you really were okay. Physically at least, because you could take painkillers and your wounds wound heal. But you were still hurting because of her harsh words.

“What can I do to make you believe me?” she asked as if she could read your mind. You knew exactly what she could do, but it would be hard. “Stop drinking. All of are arguments start because of it, and you know it. If you put the effort into stopping then I'll believe you love me. Come clean to your fans too, because they deserve to know.” She cringed when you mentioned them and you could tell she wanted to say no, but you gave her a look that said you were 100% serious. “Anything for you my love. I'm done with all the arguing, I never want to see you like this again. I really do love you.”