Didn't Mean It

“What movie do you wanna watch?” Maddie asked, standing in front of the rather large DVD collection. “Don't know. Just close your eyes and pick the first one you touch.” You shifted around so you could get comfortable on the couch, making sure to leave room for Maddie on the other side. “Shark Tale it is!”

She got the movie started then plopped down next to you, stealing the bowl of popcorn from your hands. You playfully kicked her with your foot for taking it, smirking triumphantly when she handed it back. “Sharing is caring, but I get to hold it.” She huffed and crossed her arms, but smiled to let you know that she wasn't really mad. “Fine, just shut up and watch the movie.”

Either you were really tired or the movie was really funny, because halfway through you and Maddie just couldn't stop laughing. She had tears rolling down her face and you were clenching your sides, thinking that if you laughed any more you would throw up. “S-stop Maddie, my stomach hurts so much!” That only made her laugh harder, so you turned away from her hoping that if you couldn't see her you might be able to stop laughing.

Unfortunately, that wasn't what made you stop. Demi was standing at the end of the couch with her hands on her hips, or what you liked to call her “bitch pose”. Maddie stopped just as quickly as you had when she saw her. “Could you guys go somewhere else? I want to watch one of my shows.”

Had her tone been a bit kinder, you probably would've said yes. However, before you could say no, Maddie spoke up. “Sure, we'll go to my room.” You rolled your eyes. It seemed like everyone in this house let Demi get away with everything. That didn't mean you were close with her, in fact you were probably closer to her than Maddie. You just knew better than to put up with her bitching.

“Actually, we were here first so we're staying. You can't just barge in and ruin our good time. You have a room with a fully functioning TV, so I don't see why you don't just use it.” You regretted your words as soon as you finished talking, seeing the anger in Demi's eyes. “Excuse me? I was put in charge for the week, so what I say goes” she said with a glare.

“You weren't put in charge, you were told to make sure we didn't get into any trouble” you rebutted, thinking you had won and hopefully ended the stupid argument. The smirk on Demi's face said otherwise, so you waited for whatever she was going to say. “You know what's funny? Mom said to watch my sisters, but I only see Maddie there, and Dallas clearly doesn't need to be watched. That leaves you, the annoying brat that Maddie feels the need to hang out with. I don't really like when random people try to tell me what to do.”

You felt tears prick your eyes but refused to show Demi how much her words hurt you. “Demi...” Maddie started accusingly. You shook your head and lifted your hand to stop her. “No, Princess Demi is right. I'll just go, I wouldn't want to intrude on such a happy family.” You got up and walked to the door, not stopping to look behind you. You slammed the door before either of them could stop you, but you doubted that it would've been Demi.

You took a left when you got the the end of the driveway, walking with no destination. You shivered and wished you had brought your jacket, forgetting that just because it was Fall didn't mean that the nights weren't cold. You shivered as you reached up to wipe away the few tears that had fallen. How could Demi say that? Did she think that all the time?

The entire situation was confusing and hurtful, so you walked around aimlessly just thinking about it. Maybe it was your fault for trying to stand up to her. Her life was stressful enough as it was, getting hate from people who didn't even know her. But someone had to stand up to her every now and then, right?

“Hey cutie. Whatcha doing out here all alone?” You stopped in your tracks, just barely avoiding bumping into the man who stood in front of you. You inhaled and when the strong scent of beer hit your nose, you knew you were in trouble. You quickly glanced around and felt slightly better seeing that nobody else was around, but it also meant that nobody could help you.