I Picked You

“Demi, we need to leave. Like now” you insisted, grabbing her arm and trying to pull her towards the door. She shook your hand away, keeping her focus on the magazine that she was reading. “What's your problem? It was your idea to come here so don't even start complaining about wanting to go home” she snapped. Your mind raced as you tried to think of a way to get her to listen to you, but when you heard your name being called you knew that there was nothing you do to do avoid the situation that you had been dreading for so long.

“Y/N? I haven't seen you in ages!” You plastered on a fake smile and turned around to face your ex. “Oh, uh, hey Katie” you said awkwardly. Either she hadn't seen Demi or was pretending not to notice her, because she didn't even look in her direction. You knew Demi was aware of her because her grip tightened on the magazine. You hoped that this would teach her to never ignore you when you said that it was time to leave.

Since this was kind of her fault, you decided to irritate her. You hugged Katie, cringing when she discreetly tried to place her hands on your ass. You lightly pushed her away, glancing behind you to see that Demi was now glaring at her. Grabbing the magazine from her, you pulled her closer to you so they could be formally introduced. “Katie, this is Demi, my current girlfriend.” You found it amusing to watch the way they were glaring at each other, so you took a small step back just to see how they would interact. Demi took hold of your hand and brought you back to where you had been standing, gripping so tightly that it almost caused you pain.

“We just moved in together last week. There's even a spare bedroom for when we decide to start a family.” You almost choked at her words. Maybe this was a bad idea and you should just get Demi as far away from Katie as possible. Demi knew that living together was a sensitive topic because you had dumped Katie on the same day that she was planning on asking you to move in with her.

When you saw Katie's eyes flash with anger you knew that she was preparing some type of comeback. “Is that so? I guess Y/N never told you that she only agrees to move in with someone when she's ready to end things.” That was a lie and she knew it, but judging by the look on Demi's face she didn't know what to think. She quickly regained her composure, glaring at Katie.

“It was nice meeting you but we have other much more important things to do” she said through gritted teeth. She dragged you away before Katie could say anything else, and you could tell that she was jealous and angry by the way she was walking without even looking at you. “Let me drive Dems, you seem really tense.” She jerked her hand away when you reached for the keys that she was holding, dropping your hand and getting into the driver's seat.

You needed to calm her down before she started driving or things could go seriously wrong. You hopped into the passenger seat, covering Demi's hand with yours so she couldn't start the car. “Y/N, move your damn hand.” The tone of her voice scared you but you didn't move. “Demi, look at me. She was just jealous and trying to get to you. I don't know why you're jealous when you're the one I'm with.”

After several moments she finally moved her hand, letting you gently hold it. “She was prettier than me, taller and thinner too. And she was blonde and had blue eyes but I on-” You cut her off, hating the way she was talking about herself. “So what? I don't want her, I want you. You change your hair color all the time and I love every color you pick. Please don't be jealous of her. I broke up with her because she wasn't right for me. But you are, you're perfect for me Demi.”

You bit your lip and waited for her to respond. Obviously there were more reasons why you were with her, but you were only telling her what she wanted to hear. Relief washed over you when she smile because you were starting to worry that you hadn't said enough. “Maybe next time I'll listen to you when you say that we need to leave” she said while laughing. You laughed as well, pulling her in for a quick kiss. As much as you hated when Demi got jealous, you knew she loved hearing you tell her all of the reasons why you were with her. If she needed a little confidence booster every now and then, you would always be happy to give it to her.