Goodbye

As soon as you woke up you wanted nothing more than to be able to fall back asleep. The first thing you saw when you woke up was the last picture that you had taken with Demi. You slammed the frame down, not wanting to look at it any longer. All it did was bring back the memories that you had with her, and now you would be thinking about her all day. Yet as you were getting out of bed, you still reached out to set the picture upright.

It hurt to look at the photograph. You had both been so happy with each other, only to have it all torn apart. You didn't want to think about how she had just broken up with you due to her own insecurities, it only made the hurt worse. You remembered every moment you had with her, but the one that stood out most was the day she broke up with you. Just thinking about it brought tears to your eyes, so you quickly put the picture back on your nightstand and went to get dressed.

Your day was going on as it normally did, until you were at the store getting groceries and you heard the song that Demi liked to say best described your relationship. You smiled and without even realizing it, you had pulled out your phone and had your finger hovering over her name. It would just be a waste of time to call her, so you shook the thought from your mind and went back to shopping.

When it had gotten dark out, you were just relaxing in your bed. Your phone rang, and just as you answered it you recognized who the ring tone was for. “Hello?” you asked, not knowing what you would hear. You thought for sure it would just be an accidental call, but when you heard that familiar voice you sucked in a quick breath.

“Remember that time we danced together in the rain?” You bit your lip to try and stop yourself from crying, letting your eyes wander over to the picture on your nightstand that depicted that very scene. How could you ever forget such a moment when it had forever been captured in your memory? Her voice sounded so sad, so lost.

“I think about it every day” you responded, touching the frame with your fingertips. “Can I come over?” You didn't even hesitate before answering. “You know where the spare key is.” She ended the call right away, presumably to come over as quickly as she could. You remained staring at the screen of your phone, hoping that you weren't imagining this.

The corner of your bed sunk down as the phone was gently pulled from your hands. “Hey” Demi said quietly, offering a small smile. “What else do you remember?” Out of all the things that you could possibly have said, you picked that? Demi didn't mind, she was still going to answer.

“Everything. I still remember the way it felt to have your lips pressed against mine, like there was nothing more you could ever need.” She talked about the simplest things, yet they were the best memories. By the time she was almost done talking tears were falling from your eyes and hers. “Do you know what I remember the most though, and I know you do too?” You shook your head, but there was one thing you hoped she would say.

“When I said goodbye.” You blinked in surprise. How could she have known that her goodbye was always on your mind? “I want you to forget that I ever said it. Can you do that? Will you?” You nodded, the sad tears now turning into happy ones. You sat up and put your hands on her shoulders, bringing her lips to yours in a soft kiss. “Only if you forget about it with me.” She agreed, and somehow you knew that you would never hear goodbye from her ever again.