Better Now Pt 2

A lot had changed in the two years since you had last seen Demi. About a week after the breakup she stopped by to get her stuff and you hadn't seen her since. The only thing that stayed the same was you were still living in the house that you used to share with her, but other than that, everything was different.

What was once the guest bedroom was now your daughter Emily's room. The stack of DVDs that you used to watch with Demi had been replaced with a much larger pile of childrens movies that you had seen so many times you could probably quote each line.

You weren't complaining though. The life you had now was perfect, even if other people like your mom thought you could use some improvement. More specifically, she believed that you needed to have a romantic relationship with someone, and only then would your life be perfect. Her opinion wouldn't bother you if she wasn't so relentless about insisting that you reach out to Demi.

It turned out that you didn't have to be the one to reach out, because one day you randomly got a text from her. You almost didn't believe it when her name popped up on your screen. The message was simple, explaining that your mom and hers had been pestering her to call you but she decided it would be more convenient to text you.

Emily was currently taking a nap, so without hesitation you hit the call button. The first ring hadn't even ended when she answered. She sounded out of breath, making you giggle softly. “I didn't think you would respond, let alone call me.”

There wasn't any awkwardness like you had assumed there would be. You smiled as soon as you heard her voice, picturing the smile that was probably on her face as well. “Emily's sleeping and I just called because...” You trailed off, not really knowing why you had called. Demi saved you from trying to explaining, completely changing the subject.

“That's a pretty name. I bet she looks just like you.” You couldn't stop yourself from saying what was on your mind, slamming your eyes shut after you blurted it out. “You can come over to meet her if you want. We don't have any other plans for today” you offered. Demi agreed quicker than you thought she would, hanging up after saying that she was would make her way over in a bit.

You went to go wake Emily up because if you waited for Demi to arrive, she would still be grumpy from her nap. You were glad that relationships didn't matter at her age, not knowing how you would've explained Demi to her. Other than you and your parents, everyone else was just an unimportant person to her. Demi would be the same, yet she was still very important to you, even after 2 years with no contact. “Please don't throw a tantrum” you begged Emily as you carried her down the stairs. Most people would find it ridiculous that you were pleading with a toddler, but that's just how your life was.

When the doorbell rang you took several deep breaths before opening the door, instantly being engulfed in a hug from Demi. “I guess I kinda missed you” she admitted, and you could only nod in agreement. You introduced her to Emily who was more interested in playing with her yous than meeting a new person.

“She just woke up from a nap” you said, feeling the need to make an excuse for why your daughter was uninterested. Demi took a seat on the couch, patting the cushion to her left and inviting you to sit down. She watched Emily play and get frustrated when the toys didn't do what she watched, laughing as you got up to calm her down each time.

“I never should've left you” Demi said as you sat back down. “I can't believe that I've missed out on helping you raise this adorable little girl. I was just so upset with myself because I knew that the argument I had started is what caused you to go to that club. You won't believe me but I still love you.”

Her admission stunned you. Your heart told you to forgive her and let her back into your life, but your mind insisted that she needed to prove that she belonged in your life with Emily. “I'm not sure I'm ready to be anything other than friends with you right now,” you started while Demi looked at you intently “but Emily does need a new babysitter 3 times a week.”

Your offer wasn't what she wanted to hear, but she smiled anyway. She understood that it was all about taking baby steps, and if you planned on accepting her back into your life someday then she would need to be more than just a random person to Emily. If she could prove that she was worthy of being a mother figure to her, and you knew she could do it, you would happily accept her back into your life.