Behind the Scenes Pt 12

It was no surprise to you that Demi was an early riser, but she was definitely thrown off when she woke up and saw that you were already awake. “I always thought you'd be the kind of person who sleeps in until noon” she joked, rubbing away the sleepiness in her eyes. You rolled your eyes and got out of bed, something you had wanted to do before she woke up. “It's not even 7 and you're already being a bitch. Do you even know how to be kind to others?” You didn't even care that your words might piss her off, not after the way she treated you yesterday. She glared at you as you took the opportunity to leave and go make yourself breakfast.

You hadn't even made it to the kitchen when she came running out from the bedroom and had grabbed your arm to force you to look at her. “We all know that I'm a bitch all the time, but what the fuck is your problem?” she said a little too loudly, making you worried that she might wake your parents up. “Can you keep it down? I wouldn't want my parents to think that the happy couple is already fighting” you snapped sarcastically, yanking your arm from her surprisingly loose hold. The look on her face made you realize that she had probably completely forgotten about the fake relationship she had told your parents about.

“Healthy couples fight all the time” she replied. Why did she have to have a response to everything? Just one time you wanted to be able to say something that would make her shut up. As you started turning away from her an idea popped into your mind and you had to bite your cheek to stop yourself from smirking, because you knew there was no way she would be able to respond within a reasonable amount of time. “How would you know that? Definitely not from experience, that's for sure.” Just as you had predicted, she couldn't think of a comeback.

You sat down at the table with a bowl of cereal, feeling rather proud of yourself for managing to render Demi speechless. You heard a door slam and knew without question that it came from your bedroom, meaning that Demi didn't even want to try and continue the conversation. However, since you knew you weren't a bitch like she was, you soon started feeling bad about the way you had spoken to her. “Fuck my life” you whispered under your breath as you stood up from your seat, abandoning the half empty bowl to go and apologize to Demi.

You quietly walked back to your bedroom so you wouldn't catch the attention of your parents who were probably just waking up. Demi was reading a book when you opened the door, and she didn't even look up at you as you walked in. “I'm really sorry Demi. You piss me off all the time but that doesn't mean I have to be rude to you. I know you don't care so you don't have to tell me not to apologize, but I feel really bad about what I said and I have no idea why.” She spared you a brief glance before she went back to reading her book, making you feel like she didn't want to be near you at all.

“Why do you agree to everything I say if I piss you off so much?” she asked just as you were about to leave. You opened your mouth to reply, but you had no clue how to respond. “I'll leave if you want, I don't need to be here if you don't want me around.” For some reason, her words made you panic. You definitely didn't want her to leave. You shook your head, hating the way you had grown attached to her. “You don't have to go. If you do, then I'm leaving with you.” The panic in your voice was very clear and there was no way that Demi didn't notice it.

She looked at you, holding your gaze for several moments until you started to feel uncomfortable. “Why don't you want me to leave?” You were hoping she wouldn't ask that because you weren't ready to let her know how you felt about her. You had managed to avoid the odd feelings you had developed for her, and it scared you that she was unknowingly forcing you to acknowledge them. Maybe she already knew and she just enjoyed being cruel to you. If that was really the case, it would make your feelings for her even harder to understand.

“Why are you making me say what you already know? Does it make you feel better to hear that I actually enjoy spending time with you and the reason I didn't really complain when you told my parents that we're together is because the idea if being in a real relationship with you makes me smile? I wish I could say that I hate the way I feel but I don't.” You took a deep breath after you finished talking, waiting for her to laugh at you and make fun of your feelings. She smiled nervously, something you had never seen her do. “I guess that makes two of us.”