The Best Medicine

Someone was shaking your shoulder, disrupting you from an already fitful sleep. That same hand on you prevented you from turning over to get away from the disturbance. “Stop it” you whined sleepily, earning a chuckle from the person who you now realized was Demi. You cracked one eye open, groaning in complaint at the thin rays of sunlight poking through the curtains, indicating that it was extremely early in the morning.

“You feel hot. Are you sick?” You did your best to glare at her through your open eye, wanting her to know how disgruntled you were that she had woken you up just to ask that. She worked late last night so you texted her to say that you weren't feeling well and would probably be asleep bu the time she got home. She obviously hadn't check her phone, making you even more upset.

Without answering her question, you shook her hand away and rolled onto your other side, The bed shifted as Demi stood up, giving you hope that she would leave and let you get some much needed sleep. You were on the brink of falling asleep again when something invaded your ear, followed by a loud beep after several long seconds. “You have a fever” Demi announced, stating what you were already aware of.

You forced both eyes open, turning over so you could sit up and let her know how annoyed you were that she was keeping you from sleeping and getting better. “I texted you last night. If you had checked your phone then yo-” You wanted to keep talking but your voice gave out, stopping you from saying anything else. Demi frowned, mumbling about how she hadn't gotten any texts as she reached for her phone. She shut up when she saw that you had indeed texted her, making her feel bad that she hadn't seen it.

“I guess I was busy and didn't hear it. Do you need anything? I'll run to the store and get you some medicine because I don't think we have any” she offered. You shook your head, regretting it when you small headache got even worse. “I just want to sleep” you croaked. She refused to accept that you didn't need anything, wanting to help as much as she could. “I'm still going to get you some medicine and other stuff. I'll be right back.” She kissed your hot forehead and left, finally letting you get the rest you so badly wanted.

You made yourself comfortable and shut your eyes when it occurred to you that you hadn't heard the door open and close or her car starting. You didn't have to wonder for too long if something had happened, feeling Demi's side of the bed dip down as she got back in and pressed herself against you. “I didn't want to leave you alone so I texted my team and told them that whoever shows up first with medicine and soup gets next week off.” She was proud of her idea, so you didn't tell her that it was stupid because everyone would rush over as soon as they could and the doorbell would be ringing endlessly. You lacked the energy to tell her anyway, quickly falling asleep to the feeling of her brushing her fingers through your hair.

She woke you up again several hours later, and this time when you opened your eyes you had to instantly shut them again because it was so bright, most likely already around noon. “I think we have more than you need” she said, and if you hadn't felt so sick you would've laughed at the fact that you knew everyone would try to get the week off.

She put a tray on your nightstand, picking up a small bottle of medicine and reading the instructions carefully before opening it and pouring out the correct amount. She handed you the small cup and you drank the contents, cringing at the disgusting taste. You rarely got sick so you had forgotten how bad most medicines taste. “You can eat now or whenever you feel like it. I can always heat it up in the microwave.” She began listing all of the soups that had been brought, making you smile in amusement.

“I guess I should've asked only one person” she admitted when she saw your smile. “You're silly” you whispered. She started making her way out of the room but once again came back to the bed. “When I'm sick nothing makes me feel better than cuddling, but you already know that. Um, I know you're tired, but I really want to cuddle with you” she said, looking at you with a blush.

She didn't wait for you to give her permission, snuggling up to you before you could say no. You honestly didn't mind. If she was cuddling you then she would probably fall asleep as well, and if she was sleeping then she wouldn't be able to pester you with her questions. Besides, cuddles from Demi were better than any kind of medicine.