A Thief in the Middle of the Night

Everyone fell silent, as Chen shi instantly became the target of everyone's disdain.

Not only did she go after the businesses of her husband's family. She went after those belonging to the family's of the concubines, and not even the matriarch was spared. This was unheard of in Da Shun.

The matriarch rubbed the cane in her hands for a long time before asking: "Jin Yuan, is this family's surname Feng or is it Chen?"

Feng Jin Yuan hastily replied: "Of course it's Feng."

"Then why is this treacherous woman acting so savagely in our Feng family?"

Chen shi quickly made an excuse: "I never said the Chen family wants them!"

Feng Yu Heng did not understand: "Was it not the Chen family that wanted them? Then was it the Feng family? But the Emperor clearly stated that the husband's family could not forcefully take the shops and businesses away from their wife! This would be the Feng family defying an imperial decree!"

Feng Jin Yuan angrily replied: "Nonsense!"

The matriarch also questioned: "When did my Feng family ever say it wanted them?"

Chen shi was cornered by these words and did not know how to proceed.

Feng Yu Heng, however, continued the conversation: "Who was it that gave you the courage to borrow the Feng family's name to take concubine mother's shops and refuse to return them? Mother, by doing this, what are you hoping will happen to the Feng family?" She spoke with force and appeared to be speaking up for the Feng family.

"I..." Chen shi began her statement, "Feng Yu Heng, stop trying to sow discord here."

"Have I?" She blinked her eyes innocently, "I am just retrieving the things that belong to me. How is it that mother is accusing me of such a crime?"

Feng Jin Yuan couldn't stand having all these women checking accounts here. With a wave of his hand, he pushed all these responsibilities to the matriarch: "Mother, you are currently the one responsible for these matters in the manor, what do you think on this matter?"

The Feng matriarch nodded and spoke while glaring at Chen shi: "My Feng family will act in accordance with the imperial decree and will never go against it. A woman taking care of her own shops is the system in place in Da Shun. Chen shi, if you continue to refuse, then do not blame my Feng family for being merciless! From this day, you have two days to return all of Yao shi's shops to her."

"Would mother please also return the accounting journals as well." Feng Yu Heng added.

Chen shi became flustered: "What accounting journals? There aren't any!"

Feng Yu Heng did not bother arguing with her and said: "Then I will base the earnings on similar shops in the capital and request equivalents amounts of payment from mother for the past few years of profit. I will remember to choose an amount that is roughly the average amount. I will not trouble mother too much."

Chen shi wanted to say something, but Feng Jin Yuan waved his sleeve: "We'll do it that way! Quickly return the deeds and journals to A-Heng. If you continue this, not even Chen Yu could save you!" After saying this, he quickly left with Jin Zhen in tow.

Chen shi was stunned in place. She felt as though she had just been in a dream.

She clearly wanted to harm Feng Zi Rui, yet how was it that everything was reversed and she became the target instead? If it were just the cup of medicine and Jin Zhen, then she could manage, but how was it that they ended up talking about shop ownership?