Make Do

When Feng Yu Heng arrived, Xiang Rong was seated on a chair in Shu Ya courtyard's main hall. With her head lowered and hands folded, she appeared a little nervous and a little happy.

The matriarch sat in her seat with her eyes closed. Jin Zhen was half-seated and half knelt by her feet, massaging her legs. While she massaged her legs, the matriarch said: "Ah, that Chen shi really knew how to relax, raising a girl to be so good at massaging. You as well, with such good skills, why did you not come to me earlier."

Jin Zhen had a gentle appearance and said with grief: "This concubine has admired mother-in-law for a long time, but I never dared come forward. This concubine has a poor background and is afraid of dirtying mother-in-law's eyes."

The matriarch also knew when to treat the people she used. Hearing Jin Zhen say these things, she quickly responded: "If we are speaking of background, you are a girl who was raised by our Feng manor, so we at least understand your background. Unlike Han shi, who came from some brothel. That is truly losing face for the Feng manor."

Jin Zhen felt her heart bloom from the matriarch's words. Turning her head, she just happened to see Feng Yu Heng enter and quickly rose to greet her: "Paying respects to the second young miss."

The matriarch, hearing that Feng Yu Heng had arrived, smiled out of habit before even opening her eyes "A-Heng! You have returned?"

Feng Yu Heng went forward with a smile, "Yes, I have caused grandmother to be concerned."

"Grandmother is concerned about you. If I do not worry about you, who would I worry about! Quickly, come sit." The matriarch pulled Feng Yu Heng's hand and had her sit on a soft cushion next to her.

"How was it, was playing with imperial daughter Tian Ge fun?"

Feng Yu Heng nodded, "It was alright. We went to Refined Deity Building to eat, and I even met some girl friends."

"Oh!" Hearing that there were other girls, the matriarch quickly asked: "What families are the girls from?"

Feng Yu Heng replied with a smile: "There is the young miss of the palace's Bai craftsman family, Bai Fu Rong. There was also the daughter to the first wife of the prime minister's family, Feng Tian Yu. Then there was the daughter of the first wife of General Ping Xi's manor, Ren Xi Feng."

The matriarch nodded, "Un, imperial daughter Tian Ge's friends really are some impressive figures. There is no need to speak of the daughter to the first wife of General Ping Xi's manor. Although that prime minister, Lord Feng, is an opponent of your father's at court, their family is indeed on par with our Feng manor. As for the palace's craftsman Bai..."

The matriarch paused for a moment, while Feng Yu Heng waited for the matriarch's evaluation of Fu Rong. She had always believed that Bai Fu Rong being able to become friends with Xuan Tian Ge was not solely because of a good personality. If it were simply a good personality, perhaps the daughter of a craftsman would never have the chance to meet the imperial daughter. Thus the reason for them being so close now, there must be some other reason.

Sure enough, after a long silnce, the matriarch had some insights: "Although the Bai family is only a craftsman family, they are respected by the Emperor. This was especially the case when the late Empress was still alive, craftsman Bai was hand picked by the late Empress to make jewelry. Over these years, all of the wives to high-ranking officials find receiving a piece of craftsman Bai's jewelry to be awe-inspiring. Naturally, the palace is no exception. The Bai family's daughter to the first wife, Bai Fu Rong, is present every year at palace banquets. The nice things that the Emperor gives to imperial daughter Tian Ge, will also be given to her as well. She has truly become something akin to an adopted daughter. She is doted on far more than that imperial daughter Qing Le."