Our Daughter-in-Law Must be the Daughter to the First Wife

Xuan Tian Ge's words left Feng Jin Yuan feeling waves of shock. He already had doubts about this county princess that had made a sudden appearance. Now that he had heard these words, he instantly felt the rise of a bad feeling.

Could it be..

Feng Jin Yuan suddenly shook his head. That's impossible!

While he was pondering, the Emperor had already reached the front. Everyone on the island faced the Emperor and knelt, loudly shouting: "Long live the Emperor! Long live the Empress."

The Emperor swept his gaze, and the people down below felt a cold breeze blow past the tops of their heads. Especially Feng Jin Yuan. He felt that the Emperor's gaze stopped at his head, the pressure causing him to feel as though it was difficult to breathe.

Finally, the Emperor had seen enough and waved his hand: "You may rise."

The eunuch at his side, Zhang Yuan, immediately let out a loud shout: "You may rise!"

Only then did everyone stand back up. Following the Emperor and Empress sitting down, they returned to their own seats.

Just as they sat down, they heard the Emperor speak once more. His face was filled with concern, as he asked Feng Jin Yuan: "Minister Feng left the capital for many days. How did making offerings go?"

Feng Jin Yuan quickly stood up and respectfully replied: "Thank you your Majesty for your concern. Everything is well at home."

The Emperor nodded with his eyes closed, "Un, that is good. Recently, the court has been busy. We could not ask you about it during court, so We took this opportunity to ask you. Knowing that everything is well, We can be at ease." After he finished speaking, he looked around the scene. After looking around, his gaze returned to Feng Jin Yuan and curiously asked: "Where is Our daughter-in-law?"

Feng Jin Yuan felt his head swell upon hearing this and thought to himself, your Majesty, aren't you doing this deliberately. Could it be that you do not know about Feng Yu Heng's death?

He sneaked a glance at the princes nearest the Emperor and immediately saw the face hidden by the golden mask.

After so many days, how had it been that there were no movements from the ninth prince? Imperial daughter Wu Yang had caused trouble many times, but he seemed like it was none of his business. It was truly odd.

"Your Majesty." He did not want to bring it up, but he had to speak. This was something the Emperor had asked, and Feng Jin Yuan understood that perhaps the Emperor would use this banquet to sort some debts with him. "When this official returned to the ancestral home, the clan residence unfortunately caught fire. This official's son to the first wife and second daughter both... lost their lives in that fire."

He spoke and raised a hand to wipe his face. He looked to be very saddened, but it attracted a very impolite snort from Xuan Tian Ming.

The Emperor shook his head, directly saying: "Minister Feng seems to just like telling jokes to Us. Our daughter-in-law is proficient both mentally and physically. How could it be that she could not escape from a fire? That's not possible, that's not possible!"

Feng Jin Yuan dropped to his knees and knelt, his face appearing pained: "Your Majesty, this official wishes this were a joke, but... it is indeed true!"

The Emperor still did not believe him: "If this is true, then why did you not perform a funeral for your deceased son to the first wife and second daughter? Minister Feng, it would be best not to tell such a joke!"

"Responding to your Majesty, the funeral was held over at the clan residence. After returning to the capital, we did not perform another one. No matter how it is said, they are only from the younger generation, so this official did not take action."