I'm an innocent man

My name is Ray, and I am innocent. No matter what you will hear in this small town, I am truly and utterly innocent.

I live in a small town, somewhere in North America. Me, my dog, and everything in my previous home (a small studio apartment,) moved out here. Of course, my dog loves it. He lives for all of the attention from people on the streets, especially when I go to the farmers market for fresh food. Our small family lives on the outskirts of this town, on an acreage too. It's maybe 20 - 40 minutes out of town, but not too far from civilization. My closest neighbour is a quick walk down our street, so if we had an emergency, her or her husband were the ones to visit/call. But recently, things have been getting weird. It's only been a year since I have moved here, and nothing has happened before, but... It's just too sudden to be any sort of wildlife. You see, I grew up with my grandparents, and my grandfather was a great hunter. He taught me normal behaviours of animals, differences between tracks, or how to skin a moose. There are a lot of things he has taught me, but we would be here all day if I continued. Ares, my beautiful German Shepard, is a light sleeper and will growl at the smallest noise in the night. It's not a violent growl, more of a "Let me sleep." growl. He's always been like this, so he prefers to sleep on the bed I made for him beside my dresser. Beside my dresser, you have a clear view of our lawn/field, from floor to ceiling. My bed is placed to the far side of the room, against a wall. And me? I'm a deep sleeper, and my alarm clock is Ares. Not exactly, though. He hears my phone go off, then jumps up on my bed and decides to bark in my face until I feed him. Recently, about three weeks ago, he's been waking me up at odd hours, between 2 - 5am. But he's not barking at me, he's barking at the field and Forest. Or something along those lines, I never found it odd; until a week or so ago. You know, I thought it could have been a coyote, maybe deer, or even burrowing owls. Anything that could have set off Ares into sleepless nights, but I have never found nests/tracks. Which was odd, but the storms we had recently has not made it any easier to find anything. Again, it was only last week when he started doing this. But by Tuesday (this week) I noticed something. Now normally, I get to bed by 8:00 - 9:30pm, and then get up by 6:00am: then immediately go to work. But it was my off night, and I stayed up later than usual. It was maybe 4:37am, and I was still watching Netflix. I turn over and Ares is wide awake, wagging his tail, looking out the window. Ares is old, and he doesn't really get excited for many things. Mainly food and hunting. Groggy, I get up and close the blinds on him. Ares goes back to bed, and I couldn't help but open the blinds again and look outside. There, the mystery "animal" stood near my shed. It was a bulky human figure, and now I understood why I could never see anything before. The sun was always down, and it was always dark when I checked for any wildlife out in my area. Of course I would never see anything, but it still gave me a sense of security for looking. My eyes adjusted to the midnight blue darkness, and it was obviously a human. I went back to my bed, turned off my phone to listen. There was whistling, and that was what set me off. Whistling at night in my culture only means trouble. And I won't go into any further detail than that. Without alerting the trespasser, I creep towards my closet to grab my 12g beretta, creeping back to my window- he's still there- I open it, just enough for him to see me. I closed the break after loading and yelled: "Get off my property." And that's all I said.

Just about two days ago, I pick up Ares from his dog-sitter and make my way back home. I'm singing along to The Doors. And I remember the exact song we were listening to when I pulled up in my driveway, and saw four police cars parked in front of my house. The song wasn't at all eerie, it was actually cheerful. "Break-on through" was definitely fit or this situation. Carefully, I pull up behind them. Ares (on a leash) and I walk up to two Officers, who were conversing with low verses.

To save myself from writing two very long paragraphs, and to whoever reads this, it basically went like this:

Search warrant "Yeah sure, you guys can search my property." Questioning at our local police situation

Long story short, they found a shot gun on my property. Which was believed to be used in a murder, which took place three days prior. One of my neighbours tipped off the police with suspicion of criminal activity taking place in my household. I seen it on the local news, but I never would of guessed I would be connected to a murder.

And I won't go into deal of the case, for my safety and for respect of the woman's family.

Will probably come out with a part two if anything significant happens.

Posted by u/youdontknowme-ray