I was hiding in an abandoned school when I was 11

It all started in May of 2015, my grandma moved into a new house after living in a very old wooden one her great-grandfather had built for more than 10 years. Witch I was pretty sad about since I liked it there a lot. (if you're wondering what happened to the house, she gave it to her brother, and it's still standing to this day)

I brought my bike there because i really liked going to places with it at the time and i decided to ride around town with it, after doing that for a while (It didn't take long cause it was a pretty small town) I discovered a 2 floor brick building with pretty big windows near the town shop, so i went back home and asked my mom (who was there at the time) what the building is, she told me it was an abandoned school.

It amazed me and since that day I really wanted to explore it, witch is what I did a year later. Around 5pm in a summer afternoon when the sun was shining i rode my bike to the school and tried opening the door, and surprise surprise, it was locked!

however, when I drove around the back of the school I found old rusted metal stairs witch led to a door with it's bottom half cut open, I was kinda interested to see what there is but I didn't check it out as I was scared too.

Another year passes and I made a group of friends, 3 guys (including me) and 2 girls, we decided to play hide and seek for the hell of it and that's when I remembered the stairs to the door, i quickly rushed there, climbed up the stairs and after quite a bit of hesitation, entered through the bottom half of the door.

It was insanely dark in there and it smelled like hell, i cannot describe to you how terrible the smell was, after about 10 minutes of waiting with no one finding me I turned on the flashlight on my phone and looked around for a bit, until I eventually saw what looked like a rotting corpse, I didn't realize that at first but it still terrified the living hell out of me and I ran out of there as quickly as I possibly could, nearly falling down the stairs in the process.

I figured that, at that point, the game must've been over and went behind the shop (the spot we decided to meet up after the game) but to my surprise there was no one there.

"Hm, that's weird"-I thought to myself "Well, better hide somewhere then" I hid by the side of the shop.

I decided to check the time and that's when the realisation that when I was running for my life, my phone fell out hit me.

Needless to say I was terrified, i ran back there praying that it didn't fall inside the building, and to my absolute relief, it didn't, the screen cracked a bit but I really didn't care at that point.

But all my happiness and relief stopped, as I started hearing footsteps right behind me. My heart stopped beating and i could barely breathe.

Then, someone shouted "BOO" behind me, as it turns out, it was one of the girls trying to scare me. And, well, it defiantly worked.

Than we all met up behind the shop, said goodbye to each other, and went home, me, and the other 2 girls (who were sisters) went home together since we lived very close to each other).

I told my grandma, and uncle (who lived there with grandma) about all that happened, except the rotten corpse, i kept that as a secret from my family and i probably always will, i just asked my grandma.

"Why was the school closed down"

"Oh, because there weren't much students left in the town"-she replied.

"But there's also a legend that it closed down because one of the janitors was found dead in the second floor of the school"-she added.

That gave me the chills.

"Oh...uh, yeah, thanks"-i answered and went to sleep.

This shouldn't come as a surprise, but I didn't sleep that night, and it probably was my imagination but I heard noises from all around the house.

Posted by u/ido_I