My best friend Lucy

Lucy Stevens was the most popular girl at Crestwood High. She was also my best friend. I was the opposite of Lucy in so many ways. Where she had flowing loose blonde curls, I had stick straight jet black hair. Her beautiful sparkling blue eyes were incredible compared to my average brown eyes. We differed in our personalities also. She was very friendly and outgoing, but I was a loner. I was picked on quite a bit for being weird, by Lucy's new friends.

They never held it against her that she was my best friend. She spent the entire school day with them, but would spend time with me after school. This particular day we were at her house ( that looked more like a mini mansion to me) after school just having our usual conversation. "I don't know why your friends with those bastards." I said touching my tongue to the place on my lip from where one of them had pushed me into my locker. "They're not always bad," she replied "they've always been good to me Taylor."

"Not to your best friend though." I complained

"I'll have a talk with them, they'll leave you alone soon."

"How did you get so pretty and popular?" I asked jokingly, I knew that some people were just born that way and unfortunately I just wasn't.

"I'm glad you asked that" she turned to me with a weird smile spreading across her face. " I was planning on telling you soon anyway, but I have a secret"

"What?" I asked confused,I thought I knew all of Lucy's secrets.

" right before we became friends in sixth grade, I was walking through the woods when I came upon a shack. I was young and curious so I decided to look inside. There was an old woman there...I guess you could say a witch. Anyway she told me that she could make my deepest desires come true, so of course as a 11 year old girl I wanted to be beautiful and popular. And I got exactly what I wanted"

I stared at her in disbelief " you've got to be shitting me Luce" I laughed, but her eyes grew more serious.

"I'm not lying" she stated flatly, looking straight into my eyes " I'm gonna take you there"

The part of the woods she was talking about right behind her house. We walked a path that looked like it had been made by animals with thick weeds and thorn bushes on either side. The further we went the thicker the woods got. I finally had to stop and sit on a rock when we finally reach a clear area. " are we almost there?" I asked breathlessly taking a sip of water from the bottle we had brought to share. We had been walking for a while already.

"Almost," she answered reaching out her hand to bring me to my feet.

When we got to the cabin, I just knew Lucy had to be making the witch part up. All it was, was a tiny run down cabin that looked like it had been rotting away for many years. But to my surprise an old lady came to the door. " Lucy dear I see you have not forgotten our arrangement. " she screeched an evil grin spreading across her face.

" No mam," she replied a look that almost seemed sad in her eyes.

" what does she mean Luce?" I asked confusion setting in.

" I'm sorry tay," she told me "when I made the deal with her I had to keep up my end of the bargain. She told me to bring her back a soul that had been tormented but had also seen my kindness in 6 years. 6 years ago today I made the deal with her. I never thought we'd grow so close....."

"Are you saying you only became friends with me because of a bargain?" I demanded.

Before she could answer the witch walked towards us and handed my friend a small dagger. " you know what you have to do," she whispered to Lucy.

I wanted to run but I was stuck, frozen in front of who I thought was my best friend. She stabbed me hard in the chest and as I fell to the ground I could feel the thick blood pour from my wound. It took a minute for the pain to set in hit it was agonizing. I watched as my friend turned and ran back the way we had came until I could no longer see her blonde hair bobbing from her frantic steps.

" now my Deer," said the witch " I know what you desire most right now is revenge. Being the nice witch that I can offer you that if you're ready to make a deal." The witches laugh echoed all around me.

Posted by u/Monitono92