The last few nights there's been someone (a man) outside of my apartment

I'm going to start this off by saying that most people that live in or around my apartment are on drugs, or drink heavily. The police are here often which has made me remember voices, faces, and names of people who I don't talk to. This is a long story as well.

Last night around 1 am, I heard coughing right outside of my living room window. This was not concerning on its own because people pace and walk around here at night. My dog sometimes barks at people outside. I turn to tell him to be quiet and the person outside starts groaning. My dog instantly starts growling, a deep growl. I've never heard him do such a low growl until last night. The person starts saying "help" - there's no urgency or pain. I ran into the bathroom and the man stops. I thought that I was hearing things, and went back to the living room. Once I sat back down, the man started groaning again. I literally froze, and couldn't move. My dog started growling again and his fur was standing up. That helped me to move again, and we went into my bedroom. The man stopped again. I ran through who it could be in my head and I knew this man's voice wasn't familiar. I stepped into the living room again, and the man loudly went help. I called the cops, and explained what I was going on. The cop asked if I could see anything out of my window and I said no. Then I was told that someone would be coming to check for me. The second I hung out, I heard "help" and more groaning. I ran into the hallway, and watched a figure walk across the parking lot from my kitchen. My apartment is silent, apart from the rain, and my dogs breathing. I wait 20 minutes and go back into the living room. Then I hear the man say "help" with more groaning. I called the cops again, and two officers showed up. I stepped outside to talk as my dog was barking at them. As I was explaining the situation to one of the cops, I noticed a dry spot on the concrete. It looked like someone had been standing there for a long time. The officer even noticed and called the other cops over. They both looked around my building, and told me to make sure my door stays locked.

Now tonight (1 am again) I was watching a movie and my dog was sleeping by the door. He starts doing the low growl again. I'm terrified, and can't move. My dog jumps up and barks a few times. I'm even more scared now because of the noise my screen door made. It doesn't latch unless you pull it hard, and it hits the door frame twice if you don't latch it. It hit the door frame twice and I know that I latched it earlier. I have been hearing tapping on my living room window, the same man's voice across the parking lot, and the screen door being messed with. I did get the guts to open my front door to lock the screen door. So no one can get in, but I'm still scared.

I guess this counts as a scary story. I don't know where else to post it.

Posted by u/feelin-small