The "Top Hat Man"

I've had a lot of experience in the supernatural and I have many story's. Most of them I'm sure people will not believe, but since this is Reddit at least I can get a few off my chest and this may help someone else.

This happened when I was 8 years old. I was staying the night at my grandmas house with 3 of my cousins. For this I'll name them Joe, Vince, and Chris. We were all sleeping in the living room and it was around 3 o'clock in the morning. We were kids so we stayed up playing video games and having fun. Then my oldest cousin Joe said we should play a game of bravery. None of us wanted to back down we all agreed. My grandma had a strict rule of no one going in the backyard after dark. We never understood why till that night. The back door had a window and you could see the backyard through it. The challenge was to go outside and stand outside the door as long as you can and staring at the 5 foot private fence in the dark. Us being the ages 12-7 we were scared but no one is going to punk out. So my oldest cousin Joe started out first and was out there for 3-5 mins then came in and said he heard something on the other side of the fence. He ran inside shaking. We knew he was just trying to scare us to not go outside. However, we didn't back down, my cousin Vince was next. He went outside the door and was there for 2 mins and said the same thing "I heard a mans voice". I was next, at this time I was scared but they did it so I'm going to do it. I stepped outside and started my timer. I wasn't there for 30 sec and I hear "Hey!" Coming from the fence that was 50ft away from me. I was frozen with fear, I just stood there thinking it's my imagination. Then I heard it again but in a deep more angrily voice "HEY!!" I got scared and made the worst mistake of my life I replied " I'm not supposed to talk to strangers" Then I got the most cringing response that I will remember till the day I die. "But you're in my house" this sent chilling waves up and down my body. Then I saw this hat started to peak over the fence and it keep rising till I saw it. This man with a top hat and these empty reddish orange eyes just peeking over at me. His hands were grey with long fingernails, they were grasping the top of the fence. I couldn't see his body or his face just that eyes and hat. I ran back inside as fast as I could. What felt like hour was not even a minute. I was crying and our smallest cousin Chris who was 7 didn't want to be a baby anymore walked to the back door. We told him to stop and don't do it. He was looking at us and shrugged saying "there is nothing out there. Y'all are just trying to scare me." As soon as he said that that man no that thing had it's face on the back door window. He had the most crooked smile, his eyes... I'll never forget those eyes stared at us we started screaming. My grandma rushes over to us to see why we were still up. We told her what happened and what we saw. She beat the shit out of us. She ask did anyone talk to him. I was scared to tell her but I had to. " i did grandma ". She asked me "What exactly did you say?! Did you invite him in the house?!" I told her no. The next day our parents picked us up. Is was a quiet ride home. My grandma told them what happened and for some reason they didn't seem surprised. The following week my grandma made the backyard fence 7 feet tall. My family doesn't talk about that night however this definitely wasn't the first time something has happened there at my grandmas house. Now everyone knows when the sun goes down you don't step foot in the backyard. Unfortunately this was not only thing I have experienced there.

I have many more story's, I'll share them gradually but this story still scares me when I talk about it.

Posted by u/Outrunpawn