Im glad I have a habit of locking doors

This happened about 4 moths ago when me and my wife got married in June. I'll never be so grateful that I have a habit of locking doors.

Our wedding day was coming to an end , family and friends were slowly starting to depart as me and my wife , let's call her Diana, took pictures and chatted with some of the guest who stayed a little longer and were just having a good time. It was a great day and a lot of fond memories were made but what was least expected is what happened that night as we were on our way to our honeymoon.

As me and Diana said goodbye to the last of the guest (9PM) we got into the car and headed home . We had our bags packed prior to the wedding day for Cancun and were ready to go. I live in WA, and we were in a bit of hurry because instead of flying out from the Seattle airport in Sea-Tac like normally people do. It was a lot cheaper for us to drive up North to Canada and fly out from a Canadian airport.

Also me and my wife thought I'd be fun to have a little road trip to Canada and then fly out from Canada to Cancun. Plus it was only a 3 1/2 hour drive for us and cheaper so we headed out. (12AM)

We had a great time driving blasting music , talking about Cancun and just being excited about the new chapter in our life. Diana slowly started to fall asleep. Being exhausted from the wedding and what not. We were half way to Canada. At this point we were no longer in city area but more a wooded area with fewer cars and fewer people the more we drove, practically seeing no one on the road.

By that time it was around 3AM, we had some extra time on our hands and I was starting to fall asleep too so I pulled over to a gas station to get some Red Bull to keep me awake. I pulled into the gas station that was completely empty and parked the car to see Diana asleep. I told her I'm taking the keys and locking her inside and that I'd be right back , not sure if she could hear me but she kind of motioned her hand around like people normally do when they're to tired to care.

I came back around 6 mins later, to find my wife shaking and crying I was confused and freaking out a bit because I wasn't sure why she was crying. She couldn't even get words out at first. Later once she calmed down , she told me this ..

Apparently she did hear me when I told her I'd take the keys and be right back. And as she was sleeping she was awoken by a tapping on the driver side window , being to tired to get up or even open her eyes she lazily went for the unlock button on the passenger side of the door. As she was going for it she froze , a thought passed her mind , then she remembered , didn't he say he had the keys ? Why would he need me to unlock the door for him ? That's when she heard a woman's voice mumbling from the drivers side. She turned herself around to look at the window and saw a woman , long black hair with wide eyes and a crooked smile on her face , she couldn't hear what she was saying at first but then she heard what she was saying , she kept repeating in a mumbled tone ," Are you tired ? Over and over.

She freaked out and told the women to leave her alone. The women laughed and told my wife that she was tired too .The women never took her eyes off her and tried the door handle. At this point my wife was close to tears and attempted to call me but as she did she heard what sounded like a phone buzz and realized I left my phone in the car. Out of options my wife started to honk the horn trying to scare off the women while also maybe getting my attention. The women still had her gaze on her and started mumbling more while laughing and trying the door handle again , then she mentioned something about someone named Sarah. And asked my wife if she knew her. After a few more mins of mumbling she left.

To my wife's words the min she left I came out of the gas station. So my wife broke down. I don't know how I didn't hear the honking of the car and I still feel bad for leaving my phone in the car. My wife also added that one of the creepier things about that women is she didn't look homeless or dirty or anything, in fact she seemed normal and well kept. My wife saids she'll never forget the women's wide eyes and the gaze she had on her with that smile. It also chills me to think what would of happened if my wife never realized that I had the keys or if she never heard me about locking her inside and opened the door while faced the other way, I don't know what those women's intentions were , but if I couldn't hear the honk of a horn I'm not sure I'd hear screams..

To this day I'm thankful I have a good habit of locking doors and I'd recommend it no matter how long you're going to be gone.

Posted by u/localfratguy