La Lechuza (The Owl Witch) - True story

This is a true story about my mom and how I almost fell victim to la lechuza (explained later)

This happened when I was only a few weeks old and my mother decided to go to Mexico to show me to her family who lives there. She decided to go by bus all the way there. When we got there my mother told me that her family decided to have a big party to celebrate our arrival. When it was over, my grandmother took my mom and I to the guest bedroom where we would be sleeping in. My grandma bought an old school bassinet for me to sleep in while my mother slept in a bed across from me. My mom put me in the bassinet and put two small pillows beside me because she was afraid of me accidentally bumping my head. As we got settled, my grandma's Rottweiler named Rocky came in, he didn't want to leave to he stayed in our room. It was also hot that night, so my mom opened a sliding glass door that lead to a balcony open to let some air in for the night, we were on the second floor, so she felt safe leaving it open. Soon after she got settled in and went to sleep. It was around 3 am when my mom awoke from the loud growls and barks ok Rocky. It was strangers her because he never acted this way, he was relatively quiet and gentle dog, so this was alarming to my her. She then heard me crying louder than usual and rushed to my aid, she was left shocked and speechless to what she saw though, I was on my stomach, face down on the little mattress. She immediately picked me up to comfort me, and turned her attention to Rocky who was still growling and barking uncontrollably. He was facing the balcony, my mother turned to see what he was possibly barking at, and screamed when she saw it. She explained it as the most ugliest and the most gigantic owl she's ever seen before, it's mouth and wings wide open, and it's feathers seemed to be as black as coal. Rocky then ran to the balcony as an attempt to catch it, but the owl quickly flew away, into the darkness. My grandpa, a few minutes later, said he heard a commotion and came to check on us, he found my mother in the middle of the room, on the floor holding me like if she was shielding me, and Rocky barking into the sky. Later, my grandma was trying to keep my mom from freaking out any more, when my grandpa came to them and told them that he found a large scratch on my leg. He also pointed out that the pillows that my mother had used to keep my head in place we're on the other side of the room, as if the were tossed out of the way.

Today, my mother tells me that I survived a kidnapping attempt from la lechuza. Mexican legend says that la lechuza is a creature, specifically, a witch, who sold her souls to the devil, in exchange for power, giving her the ability to transform into a monster, a giant owl. It is said that la lechuza goes to hunt at night, for any potential victims, like animals, even drunk people, but more preferably, children, to snatch and take back to her hut in the mountains, where she would devour or sacrifice.

Whenever I go visit my family, they always call me lechuzita, as a remembrance for surviving la lechuzas attempt.

The real hero here though is my grandma's dog Rocky. He's the one who stopped the owl from doing anything else and chasing it away. Of it weren't for him, I don't know what else could have happened. Sadly, he passed away this year, I couldn't get to see him beforehand as I live in the US, but I'll always remember him as a hero. (My mother bought Rocky at least 10 bags of treats for protecting us that night the day after the incident btw)

I'm 17 years old today, and I still have a scar on my leg, the same place where that owl scratched me. Though I know logically, kinda, that it could have been just a regular, oddly gigantic owl, but it doesn't explain why it would have came in the house, throw pillows, and leave me face planted and with a scratch that never healed properly.

Posted by u/kanachu_2020