Watching You

Off the main maps of rural Utah, there's a small town called Kanosh. The surrounding area is bizarrely empty, and at the canter of all that ominous space is the tiny place. Named after the chief of a tribe of Indians, the town is, unsurprisingly, built atop ruins. Even during the day, the town is strange. The shapes of buildings are coloured by deep shadows. The animals stalk or stand there, staring. Wherever you go you can feel the presence, that of many things passing by. Following you.

Until the sun goes down

When the light vanishes over the hills painted red, and the darkness sets in, the landscape shows its true nature. Picture yourself standing on the end of a street, the only thing you can see the outlines of things you should recognize. Standing in your globe of streetlight, the emptiness is suddenly filled. You can feel it in the air you breathe; there are other things out there. They're behind you—- and they're in front of you too. You, a shrouded silhouette in your void of white, can see nothing. So you return home. The closing of the door is strangely echoey. As if something much taller, or perhaps longer, came in with you. Don't stand at the end of the hallway. It can see you. Don't look underneath the cupboard. It's there. It can see you. Its waiting. Turn on all the lights. You can't see it, but you can feel it. There's something else in there with you. When the light turns off, it's closer. Stay in the middle of the light; because at the end of the hallway, it's there. You can feel the dread that brought it to you. You can see it. Its wide, circular white eyes, and the glint of its teeth. Perpetually smiling. Each time you turn a corner, it's at the end. Every time you see a space, it's underneath. Waiting.

Posted by u/TheOldWoodsWanderer