I think something followed me home

Sorry this is so long, but I need to share this and hope someone can explain.

About 6 years ago, my family and I took a trip to Nantucket. (a small island off the coast of Massachusetts.)

We went with another family and their two children, who I've known since I was born. I was the only girl between the kids, so they let me go through the enormous house and pick which room I wanted, so long as it wasn't one of the master bedrooms. I pick a beautiful little yellow room. It was smaller than the other rooms, but I picked it because it was covered with windows on two sides of the room, and the house had a lovely view of the ocean. I was content.

Anyway, the first night is perfect. I got to bed nice and early because we had a big day of sight seeing planned for the next day. The next morning, we get up, bike, explore, and ended our night with a "ghost tour" of the island. Our tour guide brought us to a few graveyards, abandoned buildings, and allegedly "haunted" houses. The tour ends, we go home, say goodnight and get ready for bed.

As I walked into my beautiful little room, I knew something was off. My body tensed up. My stomach started to feel sick and panicky. There's no real way to describe it except that I felt this sense of dread and despair overcome me. I felt like something was in the room with me. My mind was telling me that there was ABSOLUTELY somebody else in there with me.

I tried to tell myself it was just a panic attack, so I left to head up to my parents room. As i walked into their room, they asked me what was wrong. They told me I looked pale. I didn't tell them what happened, but I tried to talk to them as long as I could before they kicked me out of their room and went to bed.

When I finally (and reluctantly) went back to my room, the sense of dread came back immediately, even worse than before. I started crying. I couldn't control what was going on, I was just full on sobbing and was having trouble breathing because of how violently I was sobbing. I started thinking about dying, how it wouldn't be that bad. I shit you not there was a voice in my head trying to convince me to kill myself. I felt like death was in the room with me, waiting to take me. I was crying and saying "no, no" through my tears and it felt involuntary.

I finally texted my friend who was sleeping down the hall and told him I needed him to come to my room. I told him everything and he could tell I was visibly shaken, so we turned on HIMYM on Netflix, turned all the lights on, and fell asleep next to each other on my bed.

The dread returned the next three nights, but the crying never returned. This remains one of the most horrifying experiences of my life.

Does anybody know what that is? Was I just having a panic attack? Did something follow me? Any help is appreciated.

Posted by u/dearydayweepz