A mother's intuition

True story* One night, I was walking to meet up with one of my friends. We lived in a small suburban neighbourhood in Pennsylvania. Nothing bad ever happened. It was relatively safe. Theres a local pool a couple blocks from my house and a small block of woods next to it. It was getting darker, around 930pm in the summer. I reached the pool and my friend's house was not much farther. I suddenly noticed a man walking behind me. Not close enough for me to be concerned. I thought maybe he was going for a jog. I keep walking and pass the woods and notice that the man is closer to me at this time but still no concern. My friend finally reaches my path and we start walking together back to her house. I have shorts on and my jacket tied around my waist which I don't normally do. My purse hung from my shoulder and my jacket was also around it. We both light up a cigarette and continue to walk..

All the sudden we hear running behind us...the man punches my friend in the back of the head. I quickly blurt out "do you know him?" And she screams no. I feel crunching on the back of my head. I was not sure what was happening to me and then I felt pain. This man was beating the shit out of me. I get on the ground and start screaming as he's kicking my back and repeatedly punching me in my head.

He did not say a word or make a noise and I do not remember seeing his face. He takes a yank at my purse (I think) and could not get it since it was tied on to my body and he runs off.

Seconds after it happened we were running and I had an incoming call on my phone from my mom, panicked. Almost like she knew what was happening. I went to the hospital that night with a concussion and a bruise that lead from the back of my ear down to my back. But I am alive. The police could never find who did it. While it was happening we were in a neighbourhood, outside of people's houses, cars driving by and nobody stopped or helped or anything...its like we were invisible and the man did not really exist.

This incident still terrifies me to this day. My mother already knew what was happening and this mystery man never said a word.

The police told me that they think he was planning on dragging me into the woods by the pool where they had already had reports of the same thing happening maybe a month earlier. The girl got away with her life but was beaten and raped. That makes me want to throw up.

Posted by u/BrennaBeans