Whisper

(This is my first try at a short story, please leave constructive criticism)

I was lying there in the dark. The sounds of the storm raging outside kept me awake. The only light in the room was the moonlight reflecting off my mirror and dimly illuminating the wall in front of my bed.

I was drifting to sleep when I was met with a sudden realization. The room was completely quiet. This just couldn't be. Mere seconds ago a storm was raging outside. Then something broke the silence. A faint whisper ringing in the back of my head. It was incomprehensible. It was also rising and lowering in tone. I couldn't move, as I was paralyzed with fear. It was impossible to ignore. It was imbedded in the back of my mind.

I couldn't take it anymore. It was driving me mad. I jumped out of bed onto my feet and quickly glanced around my room. That's when I saw it. A figure standing in the corner looking directly at me. I could barely see it. The only thing I could make out was it's mouth. It was moving inhuman-like at an impossible speed, it's jaw unhinging rapidly. I closed my eyes and once again, I couldn't move. Then I felt something trickling down my neck. Blood was oozing from the edges of my mouth. I panicked and quickly covered my mouth with my hand. My mind was racing as I realized the sound of the storm was back. The whispering had vanished. I was greeted with a horrifying realization as I opened my eyes.

I didn't dare to remove my hand from my mouth, as I was staring directly into a mirror.

Posted by u/gavinM000000