A dead evil man's home

So...back story. My mom was married to a piece of shit human in the late 60's and early 70's. He was abusive, cheated, and threatened to kill her. When she finally moved back home 8 hours away, he didn't let her take the kids. The same kids he neglected. He later left my sister (half-sister) with his elderly parents. My brother stayed with him. Well, he had built this house in the middle of nowhere. Fast forward some years. Brother joins the military in the 80's and sister moves in with us. The ex and my father (the kindest, most gentle human ever) became friends. This guy would come stay with us for short periods of time on occasion.

Well, the ex dies in the middle 90's just before I'm going into high school. One of the last things he does is sign over the property to my parents. So...we now own a home 500+ miles away from the big city we lived in. We moved, one at a time up there, fix up the house, and get it liveable.

Now for the creepy parts. There would be times where the hardwood floors would creak like someone was walking across the floors. Cabinets would open and slam shut on their own. TVs would turn on by themselves and change channels randomly, especially in the living room.

But freakiest of all, a shadow man has been on the property the entire time. All of us would see this figure during random times, day or night. Even my cousin that moved in with us would see it. The figuree was large, at least 6 feet tall. The ex was 5'6", my dad was about the same, my mom is 5'2" and I'm 5'9". This figure was much bigger than anybody in any of the families...yes, we're all runts. I saw this figure standing out by my truck one day when I was getting ready to leave for school. It became a common occurrence to see it.

Even worse than the shadow man though...the children's voices and sounds of toys sliding across the floor. Like I said, I was a teenager when I moved in, my cousin was just a bit younger, and none of my siblings had kids yet. I remember playing video games on my PS1 in the living room one day in 98 or 99 and hearing what sounded like 5 different children playing and talking coming from the hallway near the bathroom. I was home alone and everybody was great about turning off TVs and radios before leaving. No children ever died in the home as only 3 had ever grown up in the home.

Fast forward to 2005...just before my father died. He and I were always curious about the land so we went to the county courthouse and looked up the land stretching back to 1836. We took that information and went to libraries, online resources, and other historical documents and found that there had been other homes on the land and during the civil war, one family even put up injured confederate soldiers in tents less than 250 yards from where our house is.

A month ago, I went to visit my mother on that land. She wasn't home when I got there as she had driven a few minutes away to get gas for her lawnmower. Well...I saw the shadow man for the first time in 15+ years as he was standing out where my dad had planted some fruit trees. When I went in the house, it sounded like Grand Central Station. It was noisy, lots of voices, and of course, no electronics were running. Might be time for mom to burn some white sage.

TL:DR Haunted house with creepy shadow figure, voices, and ghost children playing. Elderly mother still lives there alone.

Posted by u/KilljoySG81