my first 911 calls that turned into an unresolved murder mystery

Was a EMT (emergency medical technician). Responded to a 911 call for an elderly woman not feeling well. Her husband, who was in a wheelchair, answered the door. He let us in the house and was leading us to the bedroom while explaining what was going on. He seemed calm and didn't notice anything strange. Halfway across the kitchen he stops talking and his head slumps forward. My coworker and I look at each other and then immediately start to try and wake him up... he was dead.

His heart stopped. We did CPR for over an hour and defibrillated him twice while on the way to the hospital. He didn't make it.

While we are on the way to the hospital we request a second ambulance from our building to go to the house to transport the wife who was sick (I don't recall what she was sick from) all I remember is that she had dementia really badly.

On our way back to the station the police call us on the radio and ask us to go back to the house we were at.

We get there, at this point it's the middle of the night and totally dark in this now empty house. The police wanted to know what the hell happened. We were very confused already about everything and didn't know what they were talking about.

The police led us back into the house and into the bathroom... there was blood everywhere. I mean all over every wall, ceiling, sink, and pools of it on the floor. I've seen a lot of blood before but never like this. My guess is that it was about 6-8 pints of blood all over this room. It put horror movies to shame.

My jaw is on the floor at this point because neither of the patients had any trauma or bloody injuries. So no idea where the blood came from.

Then, while me, my co-worker, and the two cops were standing there we hear, "hello". My heart sank and even the cops jumped. We turn around and there is this middle aged woman standing there in this dark house.

The cops immediately start questioning her. If I recall correctly we were all questioning her. And she acted like she didn't know what was going on and seemed really calm for everything that just happened. Turns out she is the daughter-in-law of the old couple and she stops by regularly to take care of them. She claimed she was in the house all day but never made herself known while all of this was going down.

To this day I never found out what happened. At the time I was about 17 years old and was very overwhelmed by the whole situation. After a lot of thought my guess is that she killed them possibly via poisoning their food or medications. Which would explain the sudden death of one and the deteriorating state of the other. Could also explain the blood and it's volume if it was from vomiting.

Never told anyone this story as it seemed to strange to believe but it all happened.

TL;DR: I work in emergency services, respond to 911 call, not the patient but the husband of the patient dies right in front of me, cops show up and find more blood than an Evil Dead movie in the house yet we have no idea where it came from. And the mysterious, probable murderer, was watching us in the house the whole time without us knowing.

P.S. I don't BS, this all actually happened and it feels good to actually get my story out there and off my chest.

Posted by u/inspectcloser