Harvesting

My boss Cindy called me early that morning and informed me that I was to run cables to the newest extension of the lab. She said it would only take a few minutes. "No worries, I got this." I told her. I made my way down to the server room and started uncoiling the cables. Running cables at an old hospital has its ups and downs. The upside to it is that you can literally just follow all the other cables in the ceiling and it makes it pretty easy. The downside to it is that sometimes those cables don't go to where you think they should. The latter of that happened to me.

I had ran the cables half way to the new extension of the lab building when I saw a split in the cables. A huge section of them were continuing on towards the rest of the hospital but there were a decent amount of cables going the opposite direction towards the old server room. I didn't think too much into it only because we used that server room five years ago for most of the hospital, but I couldn't shake the thought that I knew we removed all those cables when we set up our new server room. I told myself after I was done running these cables that I would check it out, I didn't want us to get hit with a citation from the fire marshal for having unused cables in the ceiling.

I finished running those cables about an hour later, so much for only taking a few minutes. My boss was great at making things sound easier then what they were. I made my way back to the old server room. Even though most of our hospital has been updated there is still the south wing that has not been touched, so most of the rooms are at least a hundred years old. The old server room was unlocked. I made my way in and turned on the lights. I knew I was right about taking out all the old cables from this room, it was basically empty in there except for some old machines that we never use anymore. I turned off the lights and started to walk out when something caught my attention. In the far back corner of the room was a faint light seeping out from a hole in the wall. I made my way back inside and noticed that there was a piece of paneling over the wall where the light was coming out from.

I was able to remove the paneling and noticed that there was a small crawl space behind it. At this point I should have just looked at it and been like no big deal and walked away but something in the back of my mind gnawed at me to explore it. I let my curiosity get the best of me and I crawled through it. The crawl space was covered in spider webs and rat droppings and yet none of this deterred me from stopping. Eventually I came out of the crawl space into a room I had never seen before. It appeared to be some kind of lab, the equipment in this space was super old and everything was covered in dust. This was not our old lab or our new one that was just built a few months ago. Thinking how odd all of this was I decided to start looking for a door to see exactly where I was at in the hospital. This is where things start to get strange. There was no door into this room, at least no door that I could see, and there were no windows either. There was what appeared to be a standup cooler at the far end of the room though. I decided to open it. The door was almost rusted shut so I really had to put some elbow grease into it to get it to open. The door flung open accompanied by a gut retching odor and a pair of eyes staring at me.

It was as if we were having a staring contest, I was terrified to look anywhere but into those dead cold blue eyes. After what felt like an eternity I screamed. I took off running back to the crawl space and tripped over my own feet crashing into a table. Several glass instruments went flying and shattered on the floor. Suddenly a light came on above me. A loud noise emitting from the wall behind me made me turn around. The wall opened up into another room that was attached to our new lab. Our lab director Debbie was staring at me with murderous intent written all over her face. "You are not supposed to be in here, Seth." She said. "But now that you have found our friend in the cooler I guess you will have to join him." For the second time that day I ran like my life depended on it and for the second time that day I failed. Debbie had the speed and strength of a professional football player. Before I even got four good steps in she was tackling me to the ground. I tried to scream and fight her off but she outweighed me by a hundred pounds and it felt like she was squeezing all the air out of my body. She injected something into my neck and I passed out.

When I woke up Debbie was standing over me and my arms and legs were clearly strapped down to the table that I was laying on. She had several sharp looking surgical tools on the table next to me. "What are you going to do to me," I asked. "You would be surprised at how much someone is willing to pay for a nice pair of green eyes and a healthy kidney now a days," She said. She injected something into me and I blacked out seconds later. When I woke back up I was freezing. I could feel ice all around me but everything was so dark. This kind of darkness was new to me but I had a feeling it would not last long. I felt around in the ice until my hands landed on something solid. I ran my fingers up his body until I found his eyes. I knew where I was and who was with me. It was the man with the dead cold blue eyes. I was now sitting next to him in the cooler slowly bleeding out. I was not about to die with Mr. Blue eyes. I felt around for the door and then proceeded to kick it open.

I fell crawling out and I am pretty sure Mr. Blue eyes fell out with me because I heard this loud thud and then felt some kind of liquid squirt out on my hand. I continued to crawl until my hands came across the broken glass from earlier. I knew the crawl space was not far from here. I continued to crawl on my hands and knees through the glass until I found the wall with the opening. I squeezed my body back inside which was not as hard this time around thanks to the blood coming out of me acting as a lubrication of sorts. I crawled blindly for what felt like hours. I came to the end of the crawl space and there was a solid object blocking my exit. I started hitting it and yelling for help. "Don't make this harder on yourself then what it needs to be." A voice said. "Who's there?" I yelled. "Please help me!" "This happens to all the new ones I hire," she said. "Cindy, is that you?" I asked.

Posted by u/sethhaven