Step-Family

Ming was sitting at his usual table in the Engineering canteen, talking and laughing with his friends when he felt his phone start buzzing like an angry bee in his trouser pocket. He took it out and answered it. "Hello, KitKat. What's up?"

"Pha is driving me crazy!" Kit complained. There was someone talking in the background, and Kit hissed, "If you don't leave me alone, I won't ask him!"

Ming smiled to himself, pushing away from the table and walking out of the canteen to get away from the noise. "Ask me what?"

"Do you know where Yo is? He's not answering his phone, and he wasn't at school at all today."

"Oh? How do you know??" Ming frowned. Yo had told him the night before that Montree was picking him up for classes that morning, so Ming didn't have to. "I thought Montree was taking him to class today?"

 "I thought Montree was taking him to class today?"

"Nope. Pha dragged Beam and me to the Science canteen, and Yo isn't anywhere to be seen. And Montree said Yo canceled on him about five o'clock this morning. Said he wasn't going to class today, then didn't respond to Montree's messages or calls after that. Pha can't get through to him either, and we're all starting to get worried."

Ming chewed at his lower lip in thought. Yo, what are you doing?? "He didn't say anything to me, KitKat...I can't--oh, wait," he rolled his eyes at himself. Yo only disappears like this when he goes home. "I think he's at home. Does P'Pha want the house number?"

Kit relayed what Ming said to Pha, then came back, "Yeah, he'd appreciate that. Thank you, Ming. Sorry to disturb your lunch period."

Ming smiled softly at the worry in Kit's tone. "You're welcome, KitKat. And you're never a disturbance. I love talking to you."

There was a beat of silence. Then, "Now they're teasing me..."

"What? Why?"

"They said my face turned red. Shut up, you morons!" Kit shot at his friends.

Ming chuckled quietly, not wanting Kit to get mad at him. "I'll LINE P'Pha the number after we get off."

"Okay. See you tonight."

"See you tonight. Love you, KitKat."

Kit sighed softly. "Love you, too. Have fun with your friends, okay?"

"I'll try, but they're not you."

"Flatterer," Kit laughed. "Bye, Ming."

"Bye-bye, my KitKat."

Ming hurriedly sent the number to Pha, then went back inside. He wanted to finish his lunch before the others got it in their heads to gobble it up. They'd done that a couple times already.

XXX

It wasn't until an hour after all classes were done was Yo spotted on campus again - in the company of a strange boy. The Fairy Angel gang messaged Ming, who in turn messaged Kit, who messaged Pha. Pha went straight to Yo's dorm to find out what was going on, since no one had answered when he'd called Yo's house. He was about to knock on the door when he heard an unfamiliar voice inside the room.