Competition

Yo kept shifting from one foot to the other, feeling more restless than ever. His due date had come and gone and Love still hadn't made her arrival, worrying not just the young mother, but Pha, Ming, Kit, everyone. Dr. Jaruji calmed Yo when he'd called the doctor before the competition preparations, saying his estimate of how old the baby was could be off by a week or two, and to not worry. Love would be born when she was ready.

It wasn't fair to Yo. He was more than ready to finally have the weight no longer pulling on his back. He was ready for his ankles to stop aching with every step. He was so ready to hold his and Pha's little girl in his arms, rock her to sleep, kiss her cute little face.

Hey, she was Pha's daughter. That meant she was going to be cute. So there.

"Maybe you should sit down?" Ming suggested hesitantly. He hated seeing his cousin look so miserable.

Yo rubbed at his lower back, gaze glued to the dancing freshmen on the stage. "No, I'm fine. Just...I don't know."

Maybe Love is getting ready to come soon? "Do you have everything packed?"

"For the hospital stay? Yeah. P'Pha and I packed the bag, and we put it in the car everyday before we leave."

"That's good. Make sure to text the rest of us when it happens."

"That's a given," Yo chuckled softly. He smiled down at Ming. "I want my family there."

Then the music stopped, and the Moons and Stars did their final pose. Yo and Ming clapped along with the audience. Both boys felt nostalgic at the sight, remembering how only a year ago it was them onstage, dancing and performing. The MC's voice was like background noise as the former Campus Moon and runner-up ushered the freshmen back into the staging area and changing rooms.

"P, I think I'm gonna be sick," one Moon stared fearfully at Yo, his face a pasty white, body trembling.

Yo exchanged a worried look with Lemon, who was standing nearby helping her Star go over her routine. "Deep breaths, Nong," Yo said soothingly, rubbing the younger guy's back. "I could have someone get you a carbonated drink to help settle your stomach, if you want?" He looked pointedly at one of the older Moons standing backstage. They hurried off to get a drink for the sick freshman.

The poor boy nodded, rubbing at his face. "I shouldn't have agreed to this...I hate crowds."

"You sound like my brother, Win."

"P'Win? From Law?"

"Yeah. He bowed out last year, and my friend, Blue, was named the Law Moon. I don't really like being in front of people, either."

"But you're the leader of 4F!" The boy was incredulous.

Yo smiled slightly. "The more you do something you fear, the less you fear it, Nong."